Retrofitting Light Fixture - quest for cheap hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'am thinking of retrofitting my existing light fixture on a 29gal (24"/18W)tank with a compact fluorescent bulb which I already have (Coralife 21"/55W). Now comes the tricky part. I need a straight pin socket and a ballast. To be gentle on my budget I was thinking of getting this stuff from a hardware store, but need some directions.
- What should I be looking in specs for the ballast to match the bulb?
- Any ideas where to find the socket? [/list]

Most lighting retailers and industrial electrical suppliers will carry Advance ballasts - just match the wattage to your lamp. However, because compact flourescents really aren't that popular yet for 'mainstream' uses, you may not find the ballasts or socket clips in stock and the price might not be all that sweet.

There's also a potential issue of heat generation putting 55w lamps and ballast in a fixture designed for 18w lamps.

You may also want to make a serious cost comparison between buying the ballast and clips and a cooling fan and retrofitting your existing hood, versus just buying a new JEBO/Odyssea hood with a good ol' Chinese made dirt cheap ballast and clips and fans (which you can't buy separately). They're pretty cheap on EBay ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4386023004&category=46314

The ahsupply single 55 watt kit ships with a workhoorse 3 ballast. The workhorse 5 will power 2x55 watt pc bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom