Reusing rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 4 rocks with my used 29g setup. I just filled my tank a few minutes ago for the first time, and I'm going to be adding pool filter sand tomorrow. Should I wash the rocks off or do anything special to them before use?

Boil them for a few minutes then scrub them down. I'm with Voodoo, it's better to be safe and take care of it now instead of finding out a month from now that they were contaminated and caused fish deaths.

Just be careful boiling them. If they are a pourous rock then they could explode because they have become saturated. Heat them slowly and don't just drop them in boiling water.

yeah some rocks especially river rocks have been known to blow up ionjuring people, what happens is the water that seeps through and inside the rock gets hot and has problems escpaing which creates massive internal pressure, then like a grenade it blows apart throing hot rock everywhere at high speeds

sounds to me Like i'd rather risk the fish's life than my own attempting to boil a rock

The rocks will not shatter if you pour the water over them instead of putting them in a boiling pot. If it was questionable I'd just toss the rocks and buy new. But even then, I still boil them. You don't know what kind of stuff got on them at the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom