Reverse Osmosis Filter Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aasu03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I notice many of them list the GPD. If my 125g loses 5 GPD then why would i get a 75 GPD filter? I plan to only use the RO filter for my aquarium. What gives?

I plan to install the RO under my bathroom sink which is on the other side of the wall where I will put my tank.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure where they come up with those #'s. I have a 110 gpd unit and no way do I get 4-5 gal/hour of of it. In the winter here with the cold weather, it takes me about 2 1/2 hrs to make 5 gal.

You can setup the RO so it will auto top off your tank, but you will also need a way to make water and store it for your water changes.

I agree with CCCAPT that you really dont get what they say it does but whatever it does do when you need water you want it to make it as quick as possible. Mine only is a 50 gpd but when I want 20 gallons to do a PWC then I want it quick so I can make it up. I can always cut the water supply off when not needed.

If you get an extra long intake hose like 25feet for the RO/DI unit and coil it up inside a 5gallon bucket of water with an aquarium heater inside the bucket it warms the supply water and speeds up the production a great deal. I think those 100gpd#s are based on 78degree source water. I dont do this I just wait for it to finish. I have a 100gpd unit I got from melevs reef for 200dollars I use it to fill my 32gallon trash can. the other day I started it at 9pm and turned it off at 6am and it filled about 25gallons which is more like 70gpd. But if i heated the source water I am sure I would get 100gpd plus

After I fill up the 5 gallon buckets (6-7) for a 20% water change, I just dump them into the tank (of course after I pull some water out, somehow)?

The gpd ratings are based 50+ degree water at 65psi. This time of year my water is quite cold and my psi is around 40. That makes the membrane much less efficient.

Back
Top Bottom