reversing co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know if you are starting to put co2 into the aquarium for the first time then you need to do it gradually to adjust the fish as even introducing new fish gradually from a lfs into a co2 tank will probably kill them. However what if you are reversing the process and putting oxygen back into the tank to rid it of co2 via airstones? Would this process need to be done over a few days too or just leave the airpump and stones on for a rapid change back to normal parameters?

Cheers

This is an interesting question.

For starters, high CO2 doesn't necessarily mean low oxygen, as the two are largely unrelated beyond the fact that people that use DIY CO2 like minimal surface disturbance to maximize their CO2, but unfortunately dropping oxygen levels in the process. So the two levels, CO2 and O2, are largely independent.

As far as reducing CO2, think about this analogy. Anyone who has spent much time at high altitudes will tell you that the air is thinner, and that it is hard to breath. If you haven't spent much time in the thin air and try to hike an intense trail, you will very likely find yourself out of breath as your lungs (and blood) have not yet adjusted their physiology to function at 100% in 'thin air'. Given a few expeditions though, you will find that you are winded less and less in the same environment, as your body will slowly adapt. This is analogous to your fish adapting to a CO2 rich environment ('thin' water if you will).

Now imagine some who was born and raised at high altitudes. Their body is perfectly adapted to 'thin air', and their body can get all the oxygen it needs from the atmosphere. Now, what do you think would happen if they go to lower altitudes with more O2 rich air? Not much. Their bodies are used to working in a comparatively harsh environment, but down here, oxygen is easy to breath. There is no acclimation period for them because of it. Same thing for fish. Once put in a O2 rich/CO2 poor environment (either/or), there is no acclimation period necessary because the new environment is significantly less taxing than the previous CO2 rich environment.

aqua_chem said:

For starters, high CO2 doesn't necessarily mean low oxygen, as the two are largely unrelated beyond the fact that people that use DIY CO2 like minimal surface disturbance to maximize their CO2, but unfortunately dropping oxygen levels in the process. So the two levels, CO2 and O2, are largely independent.

As far as reducing CO2, think about this analogy. Anyone who has spent much time at high altitudes will tell you that the air is thinner, and that it is hard to breath. If you haven't spent much time in the thin air and try to hike an intense trail, you will very likely find yourself out of breath as your lungs (and blood) have not yet adjusted their physiology to function at 100% in 'thin air'. Given a few expeditions though, you will find that you are winded less and less in the same environment, as your body will slowly adapt. This is analogous to your fish adapting to a CO2 rich environment ('thin' water if you will).

Now imagine some who was born and raised at high altitudes. Their body is perfectly adapted to 'thin air', and their body can get all the oxygen it needs from the atmosphere. Now, what do you think would happen if they go to lower altitudes with more O2 rich air? Not much. Their bodies are used to working in a comparatively harsh environment, but down here, oxygen is easy to breath. There is no acclimation period for them because of it. Same thing for fish. Once put in a O2 rich/CO2 poor environment (either/or), there is no acclimation period necessary because the new environment is significantly less taxing than the previous CO2 rich environment.

Excellent analogy aqua_chem

Thank you so much for explaining that. Its good to know.

Just thought Will a quick dose of oxygen from the airstone not cause the ph to dramatically change along wth Kh?

aqua_chem said:

So you can have an airstone along with co2 system

Airstones will offgas the co2 faster than it is added most of the time. Some people turn on airstones after their photoperiod for the sole purpose of removing their co2 in a hurry.

I am bit confused over the nature of Kh though. In my area the kh is naturally high. 9 and above with a Ph of about 8.2. Does that mean I need to use more co2 or just haven it running longer before it has an effect? I had to regrettably do a 50% water change last week and the drop checker is still blue from that change indicating not enough co2 yet my doesage of co2 hasn't changed from when I was running normally with co2 days before when it was showing as green meaning good co2. That's what gets me confused.

KH will not have any effect on CO2 levels. CO2 will affect the pH which is also affected by KH, but the two themselves are not meaningfully related in the way you are thinking.

I'm not sure what you're issue is. I assume this is a DIY system? I would look into leaks or a mucked up diffuser.

aqua_chem said:
KH will not have any effect on CO2 levels. CO2 will affect the pH which is also affected by KH, but the two themselves are not meaningfully related in the way you are thinking.

I'm not sure what you're issue is. I assume this is a DIY system? I would look into leaks or a mucked up diffuser.

The bubbles entering the defuser are the same as before about 30 per minute but the Ph doesn't seem to have changed much in 4 days. Before I done a 50% water change in the 150 ltr tank it was about ph7 now its still about 7.8. I take on board about co2 and kh thanks for that and I guess the defuser is a little dirty on top.

Back
Top Bottom