Right nitrate level for planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labpig

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 20 gal tank is running 5 months now.
4 weeks ago I decided to get rid of my plastic plants and replaced them with live ones
Up until then I had a nitrate removal pad in the filter stack, which was excellent, keeping the nitrates at 0. Even so, I still do 30% pwc weekly

My question is; should I remove the nitrate pad, or can I keep
It in? Do the plants need the nitrate?

My LFS keeps telling me I don't need to feed the plants, so I haven't

I have ;

anubius
Echinodorus
Hygrophila
Cabomba
Jungle val
java fern
Riccia & java moss

Thanks

Hello lab...

If you have quite a few fish in the tank and you feed them a good diet, then you don't need to fertilize. The dissolving fish waste will provide the nutrients for the plants. You can supplement with a liquid like Seachem's Comprehensive. Just add a half capful to the replacement water when you do your 50 percent water changes every week. 30 percent won't get the job done. If you get out the gear to change the water, then make the effort worth it by removing half. It doesn't take much longer and the fish and plants will appreciate the added clean water.

B

Ok, thanks I'll up it to 50%,

but do you think I should take the nitrate removing pad out, or is it ok to leave it in which makes nitrates 0 all the time?

Nitrate Level

Ok, thanks I'll up it to 50%,

but do you think I should take the nitrate removing pad out, or is it ok to leave it in which makes nitrates 0 all the time?

Hello again lab...

The chemically treated filter padding is only effective for a short time. After a few weeks, it just becomes a home for the good bacteria. You don't need to replace it until it's close to falling apart. Just rinse it in some of the old water when you do a water change and put it all back in the filter. Hard to believe you have no nitrates. Anyway, it would be a good thing for your plants if you fertilized them. Seachem's Comprehensive is a good product and easy to use. All your plants need is a half a capful or so added to the treated replacement water. Just dose this amount every time you change out the tank water.

B

I thought I should be using fertiliser but my LFS kept putting me off for some reason

Yes, I was sceptical about the nitrate pad too, but 24 hrs after I put one in my nitrates dropped from 10ish to zero and stay at zero for almost 3 weeks. It's amazing. When they start to rise I then replace the pad

So you think it's ok to keep the nitrate pad in and just add fertiliser then

Plants have to have some nitrates as well as the other macro ferts (K & P). I like to keep my NO3 at least 10ppm for the plants but below 30-40ppm for the fish. Testing and WC's are your friends here. OS.

Spot on. That's what I needed to know
I'll take the pad out then

Thanks

+1 about flourish comprehensive and water changes. Your amazon sword will also need a root tab to keep it healthy. Seachem makes one. There are also posts on a DIY version.
Nice looking tank!!

Planted tanks usually run best at 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm phosphates. I don't see any Cabomba but do see Anacharis. Considering the type of plants you have I would keep nitrates at around 15 to 20ppm. Anacharis and Hydro both like nitrates. I also don't think Flourish Comprehensive will provide enough macro nutrients in your tank. You might want to consider using dry ferts, which are very economical and last a very long time. All plants need nutrients, macro and micro. Now in low light tanks with slow growing plants like Anubia, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus you can often get by with little to no ferts but other plants, especially fast growing stem plants in medium to high light will actually grow faster thus needing more nutrients. Swords and crypts actually need to have root tabs put next to them as they are heavy root feeders.

That's very helpful. Thanks

A week after pwc, (when I'm due to do another pwc) My nitrates usually only get up to 10 - maybe because I only feed my fish alternate days

So I'll maybe get a dry fert

Yes, I made a mistake. Your quite correct, it's not cabomba it's Elodea. Well spotted !!

I've only been at this caper 5 months & only got live plants 4 weeks ago so am still finding my feet

Thanks again for your help

Back
Top Bottom