Ripped Filter Pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently discovered that my filter pad ripped. Now, I've asked my other hobbyist friends and they all tell me that it won't affect my 10g tank but will it not filter my tank correctly? Some people tell me to not change it because of beneficial bacteria that builds up on the pad but should I anyway? Help!

I recently discovered that my filter pad ripped. Now, I've asked my other hobbyist friends and they all tell me that it won't affect my 10g tank but will it not filter my tank correctly? Some people tell me to not change it because of beneficial bacteria that builds up on the pad but should I anyway? Help!

Well if it tore straight in half then sure water will flow through due to the pressure. Is it going to affect your tank tremendously, no. On the other hand some tiny debris may get past it. If you switch it out it should not instigate a mini cycle, unless the pad is your only filter media capable of housing BB. Change it if you'd like, either way it shouldn't matter.

It might be a good idea to stick some cut to size filter padding in the filter with the other filter pad. Give it a week for the beneficial bacteria to grow on the new filter pad and then you can switch it out. Problem solved :) Of course, it isn't really necessary to do but it will put your mind at ease if anything.

I bought a new filter pad and I want to change it but will it recycle my tank and make me wait another 4-6 weeks till I can add fish??

I bought a new filter pad and I want to change it but will it recycle my tank and make me wait another 4-6 weeks till I can add fish??

It will probably be closer to a week. There will be a lot of residual bacteria on the substrate and decorations. If you wan to skip the mini cycle then just keep the old filter pad in with the new filter pad for a week before removing it. It will give the BB time to colonize the new pad.

It will probably be closer to a week. There will be a lot of residual bacteria on the substrate and decorations. If you wan to skip the mini cycle then just keep the old filter pad in with the new filter pad for a week before removing it. It will give the BB time to colonize the new pad.

Do I just place it on the back of the filter?

Will this work?

I'm new at this filter thing and was searching for an answer for filter changing... in reading the answers you received with your question, I'm assuming since my filter system cannot fit 2 full filters, I can cut the old one to fit ?behind? the new one... If anyone has another suggestion, I'm open to ideas!
:thanks:

Yep, just cram everything into the filter box. If you are removing the old filter then it doesn't really matter if you have to destroy it to get it to fit.

I would like to add maggie, that there is almost no reason to change any filter pad or media. I haven't changed a single filter pad in 6 months and everything is still doing perfectly fine

Back
Top Bottom