River rocks or granite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FranTom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right before my goldie came up with her bump (other thread) I had ordered Tahitian moon sand to replace my gravel (newbie mistake) - I'll hold off making any changes until I figure out Tom's bumps. I was also planning to add some real plants (Val) and some grey river rocks.... The river rocks are from our backyard landscaping - soaked in a bleach mixture and then vinegar and now sitting in water for a week thus far - planning to have them soaking for 3 weeks, do another vinegar test and then use them. However.... I read on another forum that river rocks could poison a tank and that granite rocks are better. I happen to have a TON of granite rocks (also backyard landscaping - the river rocks were from the old landscaping, the granite is two years old) and I'd like to use them if they are better for the fish. Mainly using them to hold the plants down and for visual appeal. Any feedback?

I also want to add a UV sterilizer ... Any recommendations? The tank is a 30g with a bio wheel filter (200) and a fluval 50 aqua clear. Although my two goldies are small, I plan to upgrade to a much bigger tank this winter and use this smaller tank for some smaller fish and move at least one of the filters and possibly the UV with the goldies.

You can use either or both of those rocks if it appeals to you, though you will want to thoroughly clean all of them due to the possibility of unknown chemicals and such since they were in your backyard. For plants the sand would be good but you'll most likely need some kind of root tab since sand is inert and doesnt hold nutrients well. As for UV sterilizers, depending on why you want it you may or may not get your desired results. For helping to prevent bacterial infections keeping already clear water clear, and killing waterborn algae its pretty good, but it wont fix issues completely, thats the job of the hobbyist. I had the Green Killing Machine and really like it, it worked well until it unexpectedly died on me. I still recommend it though, as this isnt the case for most.

Just curious, why was buying the sand a newbie mistake?

Last edited:
Getting gravel isn't a "newbie" mistake. I changed to sand and regret it! I liked gravel more, it just personal preference. I think UV sterilizers are an unnecessary expense. With regular tank maintenance and high quality food (feed sparingly) are the most important things for water quality. I would definitely use the river rocks. I use rocks from my creek all the time, for well over 3 years now, and never had a problem (to my knowledge). I just give them a good scrubbing with warm water, and throw them in.

Thanks for the feedback!

The gravel (not the sand) was a mistake because I've read they are a choking hazard to goldies. One of my goldies is getting bigger and every time I see him with a piece of gravel in his mouth It sets off a slight panic button in me. I'm worried about using anything under the sand as my goldies are diggers --- that's why I picked Vals --- all the web sites I can find say they are okay in any substrate. Feedback?

The UV is to keep algae away as the tank gets sunlight for a couple of hours everyday... Not enough to change temperature but enough for the algae to be a constant - and to keep my goldies from getting any bacteria, etc. I do pwc twice a week (40% each time with prime + spring water --- I've been doing it every two days now with Tom's mystery bump) -- so the water has been good and I don't plan to change that routine after the UV.

Thanks for the rock feedback. Anyone use granite? I can't find why granite would be better (the reasoning - just people saying it is).

You could put blinds, or a curtain on the window, and keep them closed for the time when the sun might be on the tank.

One word of advice about goldies and rocks... don't put rocks in their tank that has any any edges, especially sharp ones. Also don't arrange rocks were they can get stuck in them because trust me, if they can, they will especially if they are fancy goldies. It's good your doing bi-weekly WC's. Also a word about goldies and plants... my goldies love to eat vals and will also uproot them. I've found using Anubia's, Java ferns, Crypts, mosses to be the best to use as the goldies don't tend to mess with them. Just about anything else green added to the tank is fare game for eating or pulling out of the substrate.

Nothing wrong with granite! It's nonreactive in water which is perhaps why you have seen some people's preference for it. I think it's appearance is more attractive than a plain stone but that's my personal preference.

I am far from a plant expert but never have had an issue growing plants in sand. Something heavy with roots such as a sword can be aided with root tabs. Don't be afraid to try different plants either. Have your guys well trained to eat their veggies atleast 1-2x a day before moving them to a planted tank to help limit plant nibbling or offer them sacrificial plants for nibbling so the rest are not bothered.

Thanks!!! I may go with the granite for if nothing else, it has a nice sparkle.

I don't mind them eating my plants.... Unless..... Is it bad for them? I feed them veggies about 4-5 days a week. I could easily increase that.

I would get them eating their veggies daily before moving them to a planted tank. Less temptation to nibble. I believe (don't quote me on this though!) most aquatic plants are fish-safe. :)

The plants are safe if they eat them but even goldies well fed on fruits and veggies still like to nibble and sometimes just mess with plants. The ones I listed earlier are the ones I've found the goldies don't like to mess with. Otherwise plants are hit and miss with them.

Thanks Rivercats! And Jlk! You both have been so helpful!!!

Back
Top Bottom