RO/DI unit recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I'm really tired of buying gallon jugs of distilled water now so I'm in the market for an RO/DI unit, I do not know anything about them though. I have a 20 gallon tank, and that's it right now. It's not a lot, but I want one that doesn't take forever. Maybe 100gpd? Would like to try and get one for around $60 give or take. So what do y'all think I should get?

Thanks!

*edit*
If it was a BRS one that'd be good cause there's a group buy happening Tuesday!

Well, remember this rule: you get what you paid for. I have a plan to upgrade my tank so I read many reviews and I got myself a Spec***pure MaxCap 5-satges RO/DI unit at M*****Depot for around $240.

I have a 20 gallon tank too, I just need to refill 0.25 gallon of distilled water per day. You don't need a RO/DI system until you upgrade to a bigger tank. $0.02

cfcheong said:
Well, remember this rule: you get what you paid for. I have a plan to upgrade my tank so I read many reviews and I got myself a Spec***pure MaxCap 5-satges RO/DI unit at M*****Depot for around $240.

I have a 20 gallon tank too, I just need to refill 0.25 gallon of distilled water per day. You don't need a RO/DI system until you upgrade to a bigger tank. $0.02

Very true. Only real reason i'm looking into one is my mom doesn't like the empty jugs and told me to look into one.. I figured I'd at least look.

At that price point, you might check out some of these:

PureWaterClub.com

I bought a 5 stage non portable from them, and after I took it apart to re-assemble it the way I wanted it to run, I've been pretty happy with it. If I had to do it over again though, I'd have paid the extra $25 and got the BRS version. they seem to have a much better attention to detail.

You can find some cheaper units on eBay in the 60 - 70 dollar range. They are pretty slow (I bought one for $68 and it takes about 2 hours to fill a 5 gallon bucket) but unless you plan to upgrade it should work ok. One down side is that I found it is cheaper to replace the whole unit than it is to buy the filters for the one I purchased. Still, for the cost, it works for me. The other down side is that I cant install it permanently because I have PEX plumbing and I dont have the tools to crimp in an adapter. I bought a faucet adapter and set the entire unit in the bathtub (causing the wife a lot of grief since it looks ugly) and fill the bucket there since the 'bad' water goes right down the drain.

Thanks guys! I still thing even though its more money, the BRS one is the way to go.. I don't mind paying for quality
Well I paid a little bit more for the Spectrapure MaxCap 5 stage 90 GPD, so far I am happy with it. :dance:

Welcome to the RO/DI family ;)

cfcheong said:
Well I paid a little bit more for the Spectrapure MaxCap 5 stage 90 GPD, so far I am happy with it. :dance:

Haha, I'd call that a little bit more, than a little bit more.. :p

Unless i'm mistaken the BRS 5 stage 100GPD is like $144, and everything i've seen about them is good..

Back
Top Bottom