Ro/di unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris-Nicol

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys!

I just bought an ro/di unit! Ive just set it up and I'm going to dump the first few barrels of water!

Do I just carry out the normal water checks like I was checking my tank or is there anything else I need to check for? I don't want to loose and fish! I have a tds meter also and it's reading 0ppm on the output pipe!

Thanks for any help!!

nah you pretty much have it all set if your tds meter reads 0 thats good just keep doing what your doing

Yeah I'm going to dump the first few barrels tho as it says to to that in the manual. I bought a tds meter that gives you a reading for the supply water and the output water so I'm just wondering if there is enough flow in the output pipe to give an accurate reading? I don't know if the amount of flow actually affects the reading but I'm just being a bit over pre-cautious I guess!

no those meters are pretty spot on so if it says 0 then thats what it is

Ok thanks! I'm just being a bit paranoid but I suppose it's not a bad thing haha!

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. I know on my unit I had to just dump the first 5 gallons. Does yours say to dump barrells of it at the beginning?

carey said:
I dumped 10g before I used my water. :)

Is that what it said to dump? My manual says to dump 15. It's taking a while to fill a barrel so I think my next purchase will be a pump to speed things up haha!

melosu58 said:
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. I know on my unit I had to just dump the first 5 gallons. Does yours say to dump barrells of it at the beginning?

It says 15g so I was Thinkin I'd rather b sage than sorry

I think it said to dump approx 10g. I tested right after and had 0 ppm tds so I'm guessing it was good enough. Can't hurt to waste some water though, right? LOL

I just dumped 5 gallons. Mine said 5 or ten gallons. I definitely would just the 15 it said and no more. You`ll be OK.

I was at my lfs at the wkend and they said I need to add mineral salt to the water to harden it. Does anyone else do this?

carey said:
I've never heard of that before, sorry...

No me either but the guy said to me that the ro unit removes all the good minerals aswell so they need to b replaced. He has probably just sold me rubbish that I don't need coz nobody else seems to have heard about it.

Maybe he's talking about freshwater? I've heard ro isnt good for fw cause it removes stuff that those tanks need.

Well he knows I have a sw tank and I bought a fire fish and a cleaner shrimp so he must know I have a sw tank lol. I can't remember what the stuff is called and I'm at work just now so I will find out and let u know later. I've added some into by barrel of water I have ready for my water change but I mite just ditch it if nobody has heard of it! Don't want to take any chances!

You should not have to add anything to the ro/di water other than the salt for the tank. The salt mix will have the other needed minerals and stuff for your tank.

(disclaimer: depending on just how extensive your corals are, but if you have corals that need something extra I don't think you would asking about adding because you would already know!) :)

Thanks! Well I don't have any corals as this is my first tank! I'm getting another tank at some point and I am going to keep corals in that. I think I have probably been conned haha. Owell good job it wasn't that expensive.

This is the product and what it says online

Sera Mineral Salt

sera mineral salt contains the minerals which are present in natural waters, in the biologically correct amounts, which are required for enriching mineral-poor water (e.g. R/O water). Water conditioned with sera mineral salt can be used immediately.

Back
Top Bottom