Ro-di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Do you have to have RO/DI water if you have a well and you're going to do fish only with dry rock?

I would suggest yes. The reason is that there are a lot of unknowns in your water. In a municipality, you can at least ask them what is in it. With a well you'd have to get it tested. Even then it might not be an accurate sample of what is going on in there year round. I run my system off of ro/di water off of my well. It is pretty important for me to do so, since my well sometimes get run off when my neighbors spray manure on the corn fields...pretty rank smelling and chunks will literally clog up the filter coming into the house.

Yes, think about all the variables you'll be limiting/elimination in making your own water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

well water is one of the worst water sources out there ask me I have one :D bad part is I'm in the mountains you would think rocky mountain pure .
besides all those heavy metals you'll find in well water think about all those other mineral contaminants and bacteria's , one would think well water to be one of the purest water sources out there but don't be fooled , for the longest time I ran just a ro/di unit but it clogged almost weekly so I installed a whole house filter than the ro/di unit now it don't clog up as fast get about a month and a 1/2 out of it . I also drop 5 gal of bleach down the well every 12 months this kills the rotten egg smell
Save

Last edited:
I think it depends on a lot of variables. As mentioned most dont know whats in there well. I guess its perception too. Ive never had a tank on anything but well. I cant even drink city water...ive always looked at it as a benefit.

Back
Top Bottom