RO membrane mess up..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just discovered the proper way to install a RO membrane, and stupid me i had it inserted backwards in the top filter compartment... Does anyone think that this damaged the membrane? I know that it coodnt have efficiently filtered the water.. I ran it to make 20 gallons of water before i found this out..

I'd test the output quality with a TDS meter. If it is good your TDS reading should reflect it. If it is bad, your TDS reading should reflect that. Make sure to let it run for a while before testing.

My unit came with a 5 Micron Carbon Block Prefilter and its time to change filter cartridges, but my lfs only carries 10 m prefilters, is this better/worse than my current one?

Better or worse is not the terminology I'd use. The 10 micron has larger holes than the 5 micron. If you'd like to replace your 5 micron with another 5 micron I suggest that you order from one of the Aquarium Advice vendors (you can see the ads along the right side of the page). I bought my RO/DI system from Bulk Reef Supply and I've been happy with their service. (I have no relationship with BRS other than being a happy customer).

thank you for the input, but i have one question, if the 5m has smaller holes than the 10m i would assume that its more efficient at filtering, marine depot sells a 0.5 Micron Carbon Block Replacement Filter for my unit, would that be even more efficient than a 5m filter?

The smaller the size, the faster they clog. For the first stage you don't want to go too small. So like most things in life it is a trade off. You are welcome and happy to help.

Let's back up a little.

Think of your sediment filter and carbon block as a team.

The sediment filter removes sediment before it reaches the carbon block, so that the carbon block doesn't clog with sediment. To make sure this happens you need to get filters with the correct pore size. You want the pore size on the carbon to be about the same as or larger than the pore size on the sediment filter. Here's some examples:

BAD: 10 mic sediment filter->1 mic carbon
BAD: 5 mic sediment->0.5 mic carbon
BAD: 10 mic sediment filter->5 mic carbon->0.5 mic carbon

GOOD: 1 mic sed->0.5 mic carbon
GOOD: 5 mic sed->5 mic carbon

Also, when you go to buy a carbon block, make sure to look at the "chlorine capacity." This is a measure of how much chlorinated water you can treat with the filter. So low end carbon blocks treat less than 3,000 gallons. High end blocks treat 20,000 gallons.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom