RO vs. water filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does any of you use just "filtered water" for water changes on reef tanks? or an RO system is definetly the way to go? Of course I know that an RO unit will get rid off most pollutants. Just wandering, I'm trying to save some $$$ but at the same time I want the best for my future corals and fish. Don't want to end up in another mess like this morning (the white water post) Oh, we also have a water softener, won't that help a little? Thanks to all.

You want a RO/DI unit, you can get them for around $100 on eBay. The eBay units are good and everyone has sucess with them. The sell is "filtersdirect" or something really close to that.

Just using standard tap water filters does not do much except start getting expensive really fast :eek: It is marginally better than straight tap water.

I use distilled water for water changes in my 15g. Only cost me about $2 a week for the PWC, but after some extra waterchanges, acclimations, top offs, and curing live rock, I have probably spent $60 to $75 on distilled water in the last 4 months :cry: I definitely should have purchased the RO/DI to begin with. Live and learn...

Thanks grimlock. Hey, you should write a book about saltwater tanks, I'll be your first customer :D

I would suggest getting an RO/DI my tap gave me a horrible cyano problem but my RO/DI took care of it. I would higly suggest it my RO/DI system was the $110 on ebay and does about 100GPD.

I just checked out ebay. Found this "USA Reef 6 stage 100gpd RO/DI water filer" for 69.99. The info sounds great and the photo of it looks good. But it is so cheap I'm wondering if its worth it. What do y'all think?

Pretty comprable to what filterdirect is selling. They look almost identical with the exception of the brand marking across the front above the first 3 filter stages. I would say that you would be safe with it.

Read some goof stuff about the dvoneb filters on eBay as well. When I get a RO/DI, I am going to get the drinking water combo and run the faucet up to my kitchen sink :)

Heh, at HEB (regular grocer around here) they have a 6-stage filtering system.

Carbon->UV->RO/DI->Carbon

...and something else to remove chemicals/minerals such as added flourine (tap water contains no chlorine, despite popular belief) or limestone deposits (typical around here). Basically baked, filtered, baked, filtered, super filtered... about $0.25/g. $1.25 every two weeks for water changes works out well for me. :) ~$26-30/yr -- but I have to purchase salt, though evaporation has been taking about 5g per 2.5-3weeks so it works out fine not having to buy salt (salt doesn't evaporate).

I might also switch over to the 8-stage/premixed stuff the best LFS has to offer. Something like $2/5g....

Back
Top Bottom