Rock and Driftwood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got some white tie driftwood and some holey rock. I know I have to soak the driftwood but do I need to soak the rock?

Attachments

• image-2669053567.jpg
    image-2669053567.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 77
Just rinse it off in the sink should be it for a rock.

I usually boil some water and pour it on my new rocks...just to get any possible contaminants off

That rock has some sharp edges? Is that a concern? There are only tetras in the tank at the moment but I will be adding some others.

Doesn't look too awful sharp to me. I think it'll be fine bit if you want you could buff it a bit with one of them filer things that grinds pretty much anything. I had to do that with some slate

Love the drift wood! I'm jealous!
Anyway use hot salt water on both of them. Most things that harm a fw tank can't survive in salt. Scrub (power wash if possible) both, soak, then scrub again!
Boil the wood if possible to get the tannins out, they will color your water, but they aren't harmful. If it isn't possible to boil then just pour boiling salt water over it a few times and let it soak for a few days.
Do NOT boil the rock. There could be some air pockets in it and when super heated may make the rock explode. Just pour hot salt water over it a few times and let soak.

Back
Top Bottom