rock caves and hiding spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if anyone has used generic super glue on making rock caves and such?

I'm not really wanting to just throw in rocks willy nilly any more. I am also not wanting to make huge peices for fear of them rubbing up and breaking the glass.

Any ideas?

I do want to make one or two small to medium rock things that look like piices of Stone Henge.

hopefully it won't kill off the fishies. Always worried about my angels.

I don't think superglue (cyanoacrylate) has enough body to stand up to constant exposure to water. Silicone is probably the better bet. Epoxy might work too, but I don't know about toxicity with that.

I've used 100% silicone I picked up at Lowe's to build my rock walls and they hold together quite well.

just any 100% silicone? Obviously without the mildew/mold fighters in it?

I have been looking for smaller tubes of the GE silicone I and can;t find anything but the regular sized caulking tubes.

GE silicon 1 is fine to use, make sure it is well cured. Another thing you might look into is aquamend the only place I have found it is home depot. Make sure you knead it well to make it one solid color and it doesn't have to cure.

JP walmart has it for under 4 bucks a tube, $3.84 to be exact, the big caulk gun size tube. Use GE-1 silicone or SILICONE I either of those are 100% aquarium safe. Also Superglue doesnt need "body" once its dried, basically superglue melts two surfaces together to make 1. Once its dried it pretty much evaporates.

I suggest using this glue for these applications
Goat-Tuff Adhesive Glue : Cabela's
s7_414882_imageset_02

There is ALSO a de-bonder that is sold seperately when using this, its an archers glue but it glues EVERYTHING together, unless you use the de-bonder it doesnt let go. truly 1-2 seconds it bonds human skin to anything, 5-30 seconds it bonds anything fully. I swear by this stuff, it makes krazyglue look like kindergarten glue.

Back
Top Bottom