Rocks from outside...Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
>_< My mom doesn't want me using up her vinegar!__! She already got after me about using it on rocks in the first place lol

pick her up some when you go out (like to work).. its very cheap.. less then a couple of bucks usually..generic bleach is also about $1 a gallon for the generic stuff..

Honestly it seems like you rather enjoy comming up with more excuses as to why you cant follow the advice given than do anything productive with it. Folks have given you information on how you can use the rocks you have and if you chose to just make excuses than do so on your own time and not waste the time of the folks whom are here to help people out of the goodness of their own hearts with no real gain.

Okay okay >_< sheesh....

I'll see if my mom can pick me up some vinegar tomorrow on our way home from work o.o

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks for telling me I was giving excuses cuz I tend to do that without really realizing it ^^;;;.... especially when I'm not trying to >_<

*gives kudos....*

I read the posts and everything but I just want to verify if I can use bleach instead of vinegar cuz I'm pretty sure my mom won't flip out as much about the bleach as she will the vinegar (she uses the vinegar for the coffee pot to clean it ._.)

Vinegar and bleach cost about the same. Both are very cheap so hopefully your mom will understand. The bleach is good for sterilzing, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to use the vinegar if your plans are to still soak it as Jchillin suggested for testing. I'm pretty confused by this post. You already tested the rock. It fizzed which means you don't want to use it. I would just ditch the rocks. :?
Perhaps you can take the baby mollies you need to get rid of to the lfs and trade them out for some pieces of slate.

Mollies don't mind hard water, even prefer it, so a tiny bit of fizzing is not necessarily going to cause problems in your tank. It depends a whole lot on the water parameters in the tank already. If your tap water is moderately hard and alkaline, adding slightly calciferous rock is not going to impact things much at all. If you have extremely soft, acidic water then it will be more likely to alter the chemistry.

I'd be more concerned about heavy metals within the rock, like rust colored streaks, that can be toxic to fish.

No no no! the rocks DIDN'T fizz! I tested a bunch of big rocks and those're the ones that didn't fizz, the others did though. I'm putting them in bleach overnight though since I did find them in the dirt >_< I was just wondering if it would have the same result if I just did the bleach and not the vinegar

I would not worry too much about the sterility of the rocks. I personally take a scrub brush and get the dirt off, possibly douse them with boiling water from a kettle, rinse again and chuck them in the tank.

If you bleach them, then be sure and soak them for a day or two in heavily dechlorinated water to be sure no bleach gets into your tank. I'd be more worried about bleach residue than what might have lived in the soil where they came from.

No, it wouldn't have the same effect as the vinegar, though TankGirl has brought up a good point about heavy metals in the rocks. Good luck.

okay, I'll see if my mom can get me my own bottle of vinegar, but she can be really stingy when it comes to getting things for my fish >.>

I found that the dirt in my yard had like acidy stuff in it since it fizzed when it went off the rocks 8O

I'll make sure to put it in the water when they're done then ._. don't want my fish getting killed off cuz of my lack of taking off the bleach.

How do I know if the rocks have heavy metals 8O

*kudos for you btw*

on a couple of the rocks i got they had little spots of rusty type stuff so i had to drill it off. the bit got really HOT!

Do a search.. this has been covered many times before

not to be rude, but isn't that kinda the point of posting a question here? so you don't have to search all over the place for it? I mean, i could do a google search to ask just about any question i want, but its nice to be able to just post a question and let the answers flow...

I didn't see any red on the rocks 8O
I did get rid of one cuz after bleaching it started falling apart cuz it was half cut off and it was layered

annnnnnd thanks ashley lol *kudos for you too*

Back
Top Bottom