Root tab choices help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
DISCLAIMER - I had plants in my tanks when I started 40+ years ago, when you bought fish, bought plants, maybe some kind of liquid ferts, put them all in the tank and *bing bang boom* you had an aquarium. The plants did ok but were never great, if a plant died you replaced it, at $3-$5 a plant it was no big dea. When I got back into aquariums more seriously than a tank or two I went for silk & driftwood as plants were now $10+ more difficult to replace. I am NOT an aquarium plant person who wants to fuss with all kinds of special substrate, CO2, lights & ferts. I have gravel in all my tanks,.CO2 is a definite NO. I am trying to improve my lighting as I can afford it. I do use Thrive S as I have shrimp & snails so this was a safe *go to* easy liquid fert.
That all being said I would like to have some Amazon Swords again and a girlfriend who IS a plant person talked me into a Lace plant. I know that these both are heavy root feeders and will require root tabs so I'm asking my only go to *experts* what my best options are. I need to be careful about copper and maybe other additives because of my snails, shrimp and my multiple scaleless fish who are DEFINITELY my priority. So start talking guys....

Not the plant expert, but using a small water plant pot with some tulle or cheese clothe or something to help hold in soil and still allow roots to go through, might help depending on your tank set up.

Oh how I wish I could get my hands on my most favorite root capsules. So far nothing has compared. Ferka Stemma and Ferka Rosetta I think it is from Thailand. Ferka makes all kinds of pond and other products - only a few products seem to be in USA. If you have any friends in Thailand... The guy I bought mine from stopped selling them.

Other than that I do not have a favorite now. Mostly have been used since then a couple years now, API. I wanted to try Tropica. They seem to have the same little balls like osmocote.... so not sure.

Maybe I can try once again to find my favorite ones.

I will be following along to learn more.

Root tab expert

Pm or find Delapool's thread and ask what root tabs they use, they have a lot of knowledge about those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like flourish tabs. Never had an issue with any of my shrimp, cories, or snails with it-- my horde of Malaysian trumpet snails is thriving and my cherry shrimp are taking over my (100g) tank.

Lace plants are difficult to keep even in optimal conditions. I wouldn't waste your money on one if you don't have good lighting, ferts, and co2. Amazon swords can grow in less than perfect conditions, but will still require decent lighting and fertilization. The root tabs will be of no help if your lighting isn't adequate. What are you working with for lights? Standard t8 light fixtures may keep the plant alive for a while, but it will inevitably die off over time. If you want plants I would recommend picking up a finnex led light fixture. Cost effective, and will make your tank look way brighter.

Back
Top Bottom