Ropefish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmenFashion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what kinds of fish to add to my community tank.
While I was at the pet store I came across some Ropefish, and fell in love.
But I wanted to do some research before adding them to my tank.

I currently have a 40 gallon tank with 2 plecos at the bottom. That's it right now.
Can Ropefish survive in a 40 gal? Are they compatible with most fish?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Sadly no, adult ropefish get quite large and would be stunted in a 40 gallon tank. They also will eat most fish that are suitable for a 40 gallon tank.

2 rope fish would be fine in a 40 gallon. They grow large, but their growth rate is slow. Make sure your tank is cycled, and there are absolutely NO holes larger than a 1/4 inch or they will escape (they can also get into filters sometimes if they find a way in). They don't breed in captivity, therefore they are wild caught and can be quite finicky about their food. I've had mine for a couple years and they eat dried tubifex cubes, frozen blood worms, live red wiggler worms, and live crickets. You will also need to provide them with a couple caves and/or tubes.
They are community fish and do not do well with aggressive or semi aggressive fish, however do keep on mind they will eat a fish if it fits in their mouth (so no neons, guppies, etc.)

2 rope fish would be fine in a 40 gallon. They grow large, but their growth rate is slow. Make sure your tank is cycled, and there are absolutely NO holes larger than a 1/4 inch or they will escape (they can also get into filters sometimes if they find a way in). They don't breed in captivity, therefore they are wild caught and can be quite finicky about their food. I've had mine for a couple years and they eat dried tubifex cubes, frozen blood worms, live red wiggler worms, and live crickets. You will also need to provide them with a couple caves and/or tubes.
They are community fish and do not do well with aggressive or semi aggressive fish, however do keep on mind they will eat a fish if it fits in their mouth (so no neons, guppies, etc.)

I currently have 2 Blue Gourami and 2 Gold Gourami. I hear they can be aggressive to some types of fish?
I take it they aren't recommended with Ropefish?

I've had ropes with dwarf gourami's but I've never had regular gourami. They may get along, you would want to keep an eye on them for a few days.
However, my concern with your current stock in a 40 gallon, adding two ropes would likely cause your bio load to be over max capacity. You could check aqadvisor.com for more on that with your set up.

Back
Top Bottom