Rotala Indica melting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought the plants on Friday. It seems like all the leaves that were red are the ones that are starting to melt. Has anyone experienced this upon purchasing these?

I noticed your tank is a lowlight, if im not mistaken they need a little more light then your tank has, what lighting do have exactly?

I disagree, plenty of people grow these under low light.
I have a 27W CF fixture.

My bad, thanks for correcting me, the stuff in my ten gallon is growing like crazy you have me stumped.

Well, I do know that it grows red/pink leaves under high light. I thought maybe the red leaves would at least turn to bright green instead of melting away. I don't mind the bright green look at all. When I bought it, it was mostly red, so I guess I will be experiencing a lot of leaf loss.

You weren't incorrect. It is BEST grown under high light.

ahh, yes im looking at mine right now and only the top few leaves are a reddish color the rest is a bright green, but mine has no melting what so ever. i think the red colors come from water chemestry, some crypts are redish in color and turn green if there is a loss of something in your water. (as mine did)

24w on a 10 gal isn't exactly low light. Can you explain the "melt"? You should have plenty of light to grow that plant. Highlight does help keep the red hue, as well as low nitrates.

Leaves turning gray/transparent and eventually crumbling. Yeah, I am more in the low-high and medium-low. The light is raised and isn't the entire diameter of the tank.

Nick I wonder if it was grown emersed before you got it? If it was there will be some die back as it adjusts. Is there any new growth and are the green leaves looking ok?

Rotala in it's emersed form usually has MUCH broader, rounder leaves then when submersed. That being said, it very well may just need an adjustment period like Fort said. I'd just give it some time to see if it starts perking up.

Not sure if it was grown emersed before THEY got it in, but I purchased it when it was fully submersed. The green leaves are looking healthy, with two variations: The ones closest to the light are a brighter green, and then darker green ones throughout the stem.

I would clean off the melted leaves and see if you keep getting green. It may just be adjusting to the new tank. You should have plenty of light.

I would clean off the melted leaves and see if you keep getting green. It may just be adjusting to the new tank. You should have plenty of light.

I am going to leave the bottom leaves alone. When I try to get them off with a tweezer, the entire stem slides out of the substrate. Delicate little plants.

Thanks for the advice.

Weird thing happened that I didn't notice until a few hours after dosing Excel. About 70% of the uppermost leaves (the ones at the very tips of the stem) seemed to have closed in on each other.

Back
Top Bottom