RSS help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I use firefox.

AA.com doesn't show up on live bookmarks like other sites with rss feeds. Usually, when I go to a page with a live feed, an icon appears in the address bar--I just have to click on it to put it in my bookmarks.

CNN.com, BBC.co.uk, NPR.org are a few examples.

Any ideas why this is?

No idea but I do know if you install a RSS reader in firefox you can set it up as a live bookmark. I suspect there needs to be something in the html headers of the page pointing out that there is an rss version of the page available and in our case we simply have a rss link.

http://johnbokma.com/firefox/rss-and-live-bookmarks.html

This gives info on live bookmarks. While we could and may implement the orange icon its important to note our RSS feeds operate in some rather unique and dynamic ways.

Click on the RSS icon on the home page or the forum index page and get the last 15 posts on the forums as a whole. Click on the RSS feed on a particular forum and get the last 15 posts in that forum. Click on the RSS feed icon for a particular post and get the RSS feed for that post only.

To get the orange icon their has to be code in the <head> section of the code. Every page on this site shares a common header so the orange live bookmark icon would lose this customization as far as how the data appears or what type of data appears. Of course for the more customized feeds one can use the manual subscribe method described in the link above.

A few moments later and my genious comes to light. You now have your live bookmark icon and you have a choice between a static last 15 topics simular to the recent posts block on the home page in what you get or you can use the dynamic rss feed to obtain feeds from specific forums or feeds from specific topics.

Back
Top Bottom