Rummynose Tetra - please help I can't diagnose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisinmontreal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I have a 29 gallon with 6 rummynose tetra, 6 silver tip tetra and 2 bolivian rams. Two weeks ago I noticed what looked like small clear ulcers on two of the rummynose tetra, one of which also seemed to have a small (1mm long) white parasite at the location of one of the ulcers and his eyes were also bulging slightly. I'm using the word parasite here but its really too small to say if it is or not.

I moved these two fish to a quarantine tank where they still are. I noticed after a week the white parasite disappeared and there doesn't look like any damage to the fish in that location but his eyes still show some bulging. Other than that these two fish have shown no abnormal behaviour i.e. sluggish, rubbing against objects, washed out color etc and have been feeding as normal.

Just while feeding tonight I now noticed two other rummynose back in the 29G with the white parasite. Both have them located at the base of their pectoral fins. No abnormal behaviour and no loss of color. This is 2 weeks since removing the first sick fish.

I have looked through various sites but haven't really seen anything which looks like it, can anyone help ID? I have attached a picture as best as I can get one.

For info, the tank has been up since August and all parameters are good. Its well planted and I run pressurized CO2 and dose EI. None of the silver tips or Bolivians show any similar signs of anything.

Attachments

• IMG_7338.JPG
    IMG_7338.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 221
sounds like fish lice with a bit of pop-eye tbh. a heat and salt bath should help, but u need to know exactly what ur up against. are they always in the same place on the fish?x

Thanks for the reply. The location seems random appearing anywhere on the side, top of head or belly of the fish, although the white parasite looking things seem to mostly be located at the base of either the dorsal or pectoral fins.

This being my first aquarium i'm kind of surprised that this could be some kind of parasite as the tank has been up and running for 4 months now without any issues and have been really vigilant with water changes and checking parameters. Can things like this lie dormant and spring up anytime like this? Nothing new was added to the tank since setup.

it can lay dormant, with the fish being an egg carrier waiting for the right temp for them to hatch... or a plant could have had eggs and carried them for a while after set-up.

which fish are newest and when were they added?

the fish lice look like transparent blisters with a white/browny spot around the middle, so this sounds like what u have.

there are chemical treatments that will work faster and more effectively, but a salt and heat treatment is more beneficial to the fish x

chrisinmontreal said:
Thanks for the reply. The location seems random appearing anywhere on the side, top of head or belly of the fish, although the white parasite looking things seem to mostly be located at the base of either the dorsal or pectoral fins.

This being my first aquarium i'm kind of surprised that this could be some kind of parasite as the tank has been up and running for 4 months now without any issues and have been really vigilant with water changes and checking parameters. Can things like this lie dormant and spring up anytime like this? Nothing new was added to the tank since setup.

I would recommend to treat the whole tank with a good parasite treatment. Such as parasite guard ( or clear I don't remember ) from Jungle. IMO is better to go aggressive with Parasites than start soft, because once the fish stop to eat they go down fast.

Thanks, will try and pick some up tomorrow. Gave the few with symptoms a salt bath today. Other than the bumps and white blobs they are not showing any ill effects, even the ones showing symptoms i've had quarantined for the last two weeks, so hopefully with more aggresive treatment there will be no losses.

Back
Top Bottom