Rummy's 65g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well finally a post worth getting a little excited about!

Ammonia is still .25ppm or less as of 3 days with live rock in the tank.

Got some time to actually look around the tank now that the water is somewhat clear. Still not great for pictures if you have to look through a lot of water. I'm going to try to ID most of this stuff when I get a chance to search but feel free to help yourselves.

Sump tank is a disaster from the sand settling. Took the skimmer out to be cleaned. After the cycle I'm going to do my PWC and take it from the sump so I can clean it out. At least the 1st and last chambers. Bulb is a GE Daylight 23w flood @ 5000k. On a timer from 7am until 1am. Picking up some Chaeto this weekend.

img_1193549_0_6d8a77c8ee38d4604c4a5f9b0f2c01f6.jpg

img_1193549_1_c9f733527f76cbbc9146bde6775142c2.jpg

Found this guy hiding in the rocks. Emerald crab? What should I do to feed him? I can't imagine there being anything in the tank since it just started?! I got some frozen brine shrimp with the tank when I got it which I read isn't great but I thawed some and put it into a dropper and squirted some out to him. He SNATCHED it. figured it would help with the cycle anyway.

img_1193549_2_839db918d647c19282c5b83b1875df00.jpg

This guy has been all over the tank. There's another smaller one as well.

img_1193549_3_783a1e5cd5ccfaef21451bc67a7a3847.jpg

Here's the mushroom. Any idea what type? If you look closer to the bottom right of it there is a white tube looking thing that goes into the rock. I noticed a hair like tentacle that comes out and waves around then gets sucked back in. What's this? Tube worm?

img_1193549_4_3266a31989f4274f87fed1629d77ce84.jpg

These are the red little tufts of hair looking things that popped up. They'll actually recess if frightened and pop back out.

img_1193549_5_6885a953b63eadf88777fa88caa9555c.jpg

Some type of Xenia?

img_1193549_6_e8363cff47ec3eb496647e4ae0c08b06.jpg

Two things in this picture but hard to see. One looks like a little oyster of some sort? Haven't seen it do anything. The other thing has tentacles in the hole like polyp?

img_1193549_7_f25591691352287d26dc8dea2d5424a0.jpg

ok..let's see....
1. yes, seems to be an emerald crab
2. i think people refer to that mushroom as a superman mushroom. it's red and sort of blue, right?
3. the red things are mini feather dusters.
4. anthelia
5. rock boring mollusk.
6. i can't see what you are talking about but it's either a vermetid snail, or a spionid worm

Thanks! We also found what seems to be a brittle star last night after the lights went out. He's maybe the size of a half dollar. I will post some pics.

Oh and the mushroom is a purple color and has green dots.

Well Saturday night the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were all 0. How does that happen!? I figured Nitrates would at least be measurable?

Yesterday I noticed some brown algae starting on the sand bed. Growth on everything has been fantastic. I fed the Brittle Star and the Emerald crab small pieces of raw shrimp and they chowed down.

I was told to get a Sand Conch for the brown algae bloom that's going to happen. What do you guys think? I was also told to try some plankton stuff from the LFS to help feed the Xenia and other items in the tank. Thoughts?

I did pick up a couple balls of Chaeto from a friend's running tank filled with little critters which is now in the Fuge.

img_1194388_0_481fecd9445b7aa45ad7eeb2eef693e4.jpg

don't bother with the conch...the diatom bloom which is unavoidable will leave as fast as it came.
don't try "plankton stuff", and don't listen to that guy who told you that any longer.

Would it be a bad idea to get one? Not just for this brown algae but to keep the sand cleaned up in general? They look pretty neat!

What's the reason for not getting the plankton? I think this is what she was recommending. They'll get enough food on their own?

Two Little Fishies MarineSnow Plankton Diet

What do you think about the test readings I posted? Should Nitrates be going up now? I can't imagine the cycle being done in 5 days?

xenia won't eat that. all it will do is pollute the water. i'm guessing it was someone who worked at the LFS trying to sell you more stuff?

no. i don't think the cycle is done either. i don't know why you aren't getting readings. my guess would be that these test kits are made for an aquarium hobby, not something like medicine or another industry that is big money and they tend to be lacking in precision.

if you like the conch, then get one. just make sure you have enough food to feed it. you might need to add food since the tank is new and empty.
i wouldn't add any more livestock until the cycle is definitely over though.

The person I got my live rock from was the one who suggested the marinesnow.

Tests I'm using are just API's Marine and Reef Kits.

I still plan on giving it time. There's a surprising amount of hitch hikers in the tank already so I'm waiting it out to see how they do and trying to keep the water quality up.

Tonight around 7pm will make it 6 days with the live rock in the tank. When should I do a PWC? Anything I should test for tonight? Last test numbers were from 01.08.10

How will I know the cycle is completely over? Actually have a nitrate reading and then possibly putting something in to produce ammonia and see how it's handled?

oh...i forgot you got the rock out of someone's tank. the cycle could be over. maybe you just saw a spike because of the move. wait another week to see if you see any ammonia or nitrite.
trying to keep the water quality up would be hindering a cycle, but this case might be a bit different.
i wouldn't put anything in that produces ammonia. no need for that really.

Sounds good. I'll sit back and watch some more :D

The Chaeto uses up nitrates right? It wouldn't use up enough to deplete it to 0 would it? Is it ok to have 0 nitrates?

I was supposed to get a couple dwarf blue leg hermits from a friend. Should I hold off on those then as well?

eh...they say it's possible that you could get a zero nitrate reading due to the algae, but i have a feeling it's the api test kit for nitrate that's giving the false zero reading.
well, can he wait a few more days until you are sure the water isn't going to be toxic for them?

With the Ammonia and Nitrite at zero it should be good right? I'm not arguing the fact. I've already told him to hold off a while. Going to do another round of tests tonight to see how things look.

Well another round of tests done this morning. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate all at 0. Phosphates seem to be between 0 - .25ppm?

Well I might have ran into my first problem. I thought I noticed something on the Athelia yesterday but wasn't quite sure. My wife texted me today at lunch and said there is a white looking fuzz on it. I have been reading up on what it could be and it sounds like a white fungus is common on corals that are dying or decaying?

I just got 40lbs of dry rock today I planned on cleaning and putting in the tank tonight. Should I try and clean off the Athelia? Should I tank that rock out and put it in my 10g tank that's setup aside for hospital? I am still wiating on my sponge filter and other items for the hospital tank. I'll try and get a picture of it when I get home....

This is what it's growing on.

img_1195578_0_e8363cff47ec3eb496647e4ae0c08b06.jpg

na..leave the anthelia right where it is. you are going to want to get rid of that coral down the road anyway, so worst case scenario...it lives!

na..leave the anthelia right where it is. you are going to want to get rid of that coral down the road anyway, so worst case scenario...it lives!

Anthelia and Xenia are the same family right? I've been reading up on both and it seems like when they have die off that's what happens. Turns white and basically flakes away. I've read that some times they come back in full force as well........ Would it make sense to have a white fungus look to it if it's dying?

The brown algae in the tank is pretty abundant right now. All over the sand and all over the rocks as well.

i'm not sure. when my xenia died off it just slowly disappeared. no white film or fuzz on it at all.
i have some of that anthelia in the gym tank, and if yours goes belly up, you are welcome to that stuff. i want to replace it with something nicer anyway.

I'm not attached to keeping it in my tank. I'm just new to this and hate to see anything die off because that means I'm not doing something right!

Back
Top Bottom