Rust in my tank during a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently found that one of the plants in my new tank is rusting. Ive been trying to get started on a fishless cycle for a while, do I need to restart?

The rust is actually coming from a metal reptile plant that was in the tank (from PM). I honestly don't know the effects of rusting metal in a fish tank...but my first thought would be that it could be potentially leeching less than desirable things into the water column? I happily defer to anyone who knows the process that occurs when a material rusts.

The rust is actually coming from a metal reptile plant that was in the tank (from PM). I honestly don't know the effects of rusting metal in a fish tank...but my first thought would be that it could be potentially leeching less than desirable things into the water column? I happily defer to anyone who know the process that occurs when a material rusts.

If that's the case, I agree :D it could be a potential problem. Did the decco get removed? If not, doing so ASAP would be my suggestion. Get on Google and see if there's any reference to rust/metals in aquariums is my next suggestion.

Please keep us posted on what you find for future referencing. Thanks!

Taking a shot in the dark here...short of breaking down, cleaning and restarting the tank (which I would do...but I'm OCD about my tank), perhaps running carbon may absorb some of the compounds and a healthy dose of Prime might help out? I know Prime helps with heavy metals...maybe it could be of some use in this situation? Since the tank is unstocked, I'd also say a complete (yet quick so it doesn't dry out BB) water change is kind of a given in this situation as well.

Last edited:
And as a side note, Ellen, do you recall the brand name of the decoration? I'd like to avoid them!

-Mac- said:
And as a side note, Ellen, do you recall the brand name of the decoration? I'd like to avoid them!

I'd say just make sure it's aquatic. I've never seen any products designed for fish tanks which have been made of metal. I would assume any underwater environment + metal = trouble in the making

same here. I don't think the rust is a huge deal, just do some big water changes, but still. I don't really know what the exact potential issues could be. I've had things like hanging rope chains dip into the water and start rusting but have not ever seen any issues related to it. Doesn't mean its harmless, though, it can't be a good thing.

From what I've read other places, the rust shouldn't be a huge deal since there was barely any. And it helps that my filter runs with carbon. Eco, I read on your fishless cycling page that you don't suggest carbon? My filter has 2 carbon pads, so that when you change one, there is still one left to compensate. Does that make it better?
Sorry Mac, I couldn't find the tag for the plant... Just don't go reptile. :p

carbon is actually a great substance to build the biofilter on because it is so porous, the only bad thing is that it's effects on water polishing are debatable and very short lived, so when you toss that carbon you are tossing a ton of beneficial bacteria with it.

Also...if you ever need to dose meds for your fish, carbon absorbs it...but I guess that goes with water polishing...sort of :)

Ellenquacker72 said:
From what I've read other places, the rust shouldn't be a huge deal since there was barely any. And it helps that my filter runs with carbon. Eco, I read on your fishless cycling page that you don't suggest carbon? My filter has 2 carbon pads, so that when you change one, there is still one left to compensate. Does that make it better?
Sorry Mac, I couldn't find the tag for the plant... Just don't go reptile. :p

I don't have a problem with the carbon itself...I have a problem with the way it is marketed by the corporations as a necessary item which needs to be switched out monthly. The vast majority of fish owners do not have canister filters with bio-media, they do have the knowledge most of us on AA have and many times have no knowledge of bio-filters in general. They are simply told to stick in a cartridge, throw it away and add a new new one every month. Even if a HOB has 2 cartridge slots and you only switch one at a time...you are still instantly losing 50% of the BB in your filter media in a matter of seconds.

There is also a debate about carbon affecting cycling. Some believe it competes with the beneficial bacteria for substances in the water column they need to colonize (this is the camp I'm in), but there are many others who believe it has no effect. Either way it won't make a noticeably measurable difference to the average cycler.

I'd personally prefer to begin a cycle without carbon (you can cut a slit in the cartridge and shake it out), that way there is not any material that needs to be replaced. I still have pieces of filter media in my canister filter (stuffed in with my ceramics) that are from an old HOB from over 6 months ago...the point being you don't want to replace any type of media unless it is literally falling apart and unusable.

I'm using carbon to remove chemicals from sand/driftwood. It's good to use if you've got any possibility of bad juju in your tank, just so long as you take it out Afterwords.

It's ok, Ellen. I only have rocks, drift wood and plants in my current tank, but you never know when a gal will go shopping for fishy things.

I wonder if you could fill the now empty cartridge with filter floss? Things that make you go hmmm.

Sounds like you'll be doing a water change and a dose of Prime then, Ellen, just in case?

After 22 and a half years of busting rust as a Deckape on ships, I feel very comfortable in this area. Rust is iron oxide. It is a process during which oxygen molecules bond and transfer electrons with metals. The by product is rust. If its brown then it is from, iron and since steel is derived from iron then iron or steel was in the tank. The process is slower underwater than on land but still happens. Aluminum also corrodes leaving behind a white powder called aluminum oxide. It is the pigment in some paints along with titanium oxide that makes the paint white.
Heavy metals are not good for fish bottom line. Rocks that are rust colored may contain iron ore so be careful with them also....Who knew being a Deckape could come up in conversation???

Sorry they're poly and carbon cartridges. Not pads, but I guess that doesn't really make a difference, but since they're poly too I figured they were pretty good to use...? But ill do some more research on the floss.bI also have biomax nodes and 2 foam pads for mechanical.
Il add some prime to my growing-ever-longer shopping list. If I can find it, any suggestions as a back up? In the past of picking things up without research, usually get it wrong... ( plants, heater....)
Yep, did a massive water change :)

As a side note, I looked in my filter and found that it had a slimy gooey substance around the media, and everything else in the tank has a fine coating of slime. Good? Bad?

After 22 and a half years of busting rust as a Deckape on ships, I feel very comfortable in this area. Rust is iron oxide. It is a process during which oxygen molecules bond and transfer electrons with metals. The by product is rust. If its brown then it is from, iron and since steel is derived from iron then iron or steel was in the tank. The process is slower underwater than on land but still happens. Aluminum also corrodes leaving behind a white powder called aluminum oxide. It is the pigment in some paints along with titanium oxide that makes the paint white.
Heavy metals are not good for fish bottom line. Rocks that are rust colored may contain iron ore so be careful with them also....Who knew being a Deckape could come up in conversation???

Good info to have Deckape, thanks! According to one source I found, carbon doesn't remove metals from the water column.

Metal poisoning - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

I personaly would remove the decoration and replace it with a new decoration which you find a like. you could try and coat the metal with something aqua safe, this is probably a bad example but you could coat a small bit of metal with aquarium silicon, this should stop it from rusting although i wouldnt recommend this. It would be extremly difficult to do and probably wont look attractive. Keep in mind that a new tank will sometimes have diatoms (brown/black coloured algae) which looks a lot like rust, make sure you dont get confused if you see some. the diffrence with rust is that it probably wont rub of like the algae will.

My recommendation would be to remove the decoration and a pwc to remove any rust in your water, also run carbon in your filter.

Rust, in the form that we see the most, is nothing more than Iron Oxide. When dosing ferts in a heavily planted tank we dose with Iron. I am unsure how having rust in the tank is any different than dosing with say Seachem Flourish Iron. Besides the obvious, the fert is designed in a useable form for the plants.
If I am wrong, please let me know and point me in a direction as to where you found out the information so I can make note in my writings.

Diatoms look just like rust to me also Mr. Limpet. My money is on diatoms. Iron or steel would have to be in there for a real long time to get rust all over the place. PWCs never are a bad thing. I am growing diatoms on purpose so Eco's ottos can live large in my tank when we meet up next week.

Back
Top Bottom