?'s on a tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flsprophet2

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a question on one of my friends tank. He has the same set up as i do except of the addition of a uv sterilizer. He has a powder blue tang who he had in QT with ick. The Tang has now recovered and is now in the display tank. According to my friend the tang now seems like he is always itchy Meaning that he is always rubbing against the sand or LR or against the filter. Is this something normal for a tang or could this be the start of a problem?

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum and the people are great.

itching is usually due to two things 1. A parasitic infection, or 2. Water quality issues... what are there water parameters?

If the tang is still scratching I would be concerned. I took my blue tang out of qt after the scratching bit and he is as happy as a fish could be. I started feeding blender mush once a day with garlic and so far so good, all my fish seem to be healthier and a lot more active. it may be an old wise tail about the garlic but I'm a believer.

I have tangs in my tank, and none of them rubbing body against sand or LR. Your friend's tang could be stressed out because the tank is too small for that particular tang.

Also may want to invest in a cleaner shrimp, my fish get a good cleaning at least twice a day from him and it couldnt hurt,

Water quality is good and he owns a peppermint shrimp which does clean the tangs. Wouldn't the UV sterilizer get rid of parasites and such? Any other suggestions of tips? Should he qt the tang again?

Yes. UV sterilizer can get rid of most parasites only if it is set up with the correct GPH flow rate. Peppermint eats the Aiptasia anemone that are found in the live rock of reef aquariums and on the glass. What he really needs is a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to clean the tang.

Back
Top Bottom