SA tankmates for my RES?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
While getting my plans finalized for my 210 turtle aquarium, I have abandoned my sunfish idea because I cannot acquire them at a decent size in which they could fend off my slider. I have decided to go with the big SA aggressive route. I know many have kept them successfully with turtles and was looking for some suggestions. So far I have ruled out Dempseys because apparently they show no mercy whatsoever and might actually beat up my RES. Not too knowledgable on the big guys so any help here would be great.

I have to start by saying I have no knowledge about keeping fish with turtles, but I do know that Severums get large, and are quite peaceful as far a cichlids go. So if a JD is too aggressive maybe look into those

That's the main concern I'd have is some bigger new worlds maybe taking a foot off. Do you want the common ones (we've already talked about oscars) or some more show stopper types.

That's the main concern I'd have is some bigger new worlds maybe taking a foot off. Do you want the common ones (we've already talked about oscars) or some more show stopper types.

Well I think I'll get convicts as dithers but a good focal big boy/girl would be sweet. And I think oscars would actually get too big. I know your not a fan but I love tiger oscars, a very well bred tiger is a very good looking fish

Well yeah they don't get MASSIVE and they are pretty active, plus ill prob have more than what I put in after a while.
Your gonna have a lot of convict babies (you may or may not want that for the turtle) and pretty aggressive fish. Why not go with a couple groups of geos? They are big and tough enough to handle the turtle and not too aggressive. Also very interesting and something that every 14 year old doesn't have

Your gonna have a lot of convict babies (you may or may not want that for the turtle) and pretty aggressive fish. Why not go with a couple groups of geos? They are big and tough enough to handle the turtle and not too aggressive. Also very interesting and something that every 14 year old doesn't have

True my friend, true. I thought about geos but those flowy fins make me nervous I don't want the turtle to constantly harass them. Btw this wouldn't be you trying to live your coveted geo tank through me is it? Lol jk

Africans, Oscars, JD's would be your best bet. My wife started her turtle tank with two YBS, a male JD, and a pleco in there. Jack has a brand new home (searching the internet far and wide for a Female EB/Gold as a mate for him because the wife wants it, driving me bonkers since their hard to sex or people wont sell a proven female) although Jack and the clown loach are good buddys somehow lol.

Do not under any circumstance put anything with pretty fins in with the turtle.... Trust me lol. Good Luck!

True my friend, true. I thought about geos but those flowy fins make me nervous I don't want the turtle to constantly harass them. Btw this wouldn't be you trying to live your coveted geo tank through me is it? Lol jk

First No because my apistogramma would get eaten along with the swordtails and other fish I'd put in there. second The I think the geos size would detour her away from them. She isn't going to go after after something that's bigger than her no matter the fins. She's not a betta she's a turtle.

Haha only kidding, and I wouldn't under estimate any turtle. I will try the geos if I see her chasing and they don't respond I'll quickly remove them I'm not looking to promote murder lol

May I suggest A.Heckelii's At 10 to 12 inches they would maybe work and mine never start anything but will run anything off that attempts to bother them. I have a severum that thinks hes a texas or Jag or something and is rather agressive but the heckelii's wont take any s**t from him.

May I suggest A.Heckelii's At 10 to 12 inches they would maybe work and mine never start anything but will run anything off that attempts to bother them. I have a severum that thinks hes a texas or Jag or something and is rather agressive but the heckelii's wont take any s**t from him.
They would be a good choice. In this big tank you could go two or three species if you wanted. I know cbourg kept a few different species in his tanks.

Last edited:
They would be a good choice. In this big tank you could go two or three species if you wanted. I know cbourg kept a few different species in his tanks.

Yeah I'll have to see what I can get locally. My main concern is size upon adding to the tank. There will be hiding places but they would be better off at least 5-6 inches upon adding them to the tank.

Yeah I'll have to see what I can get locally. My main concern is size upon adding to the tank. There will be hiding places but they would be better off at least 5-6 inches upon adding them to the tank.

I would say 5-6 inches would be good. Find out what you've got at the lfs and report back lol

Back
Top Bottom