SAE's in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivercats

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've considered getting an SAE for a long time but after doing alot of research all I read is people either singing thier praises or tellling horrible stories of what bullies and plant eaters they are. I've read they can get a taste for fine leaf plants. I have Ambulia, Limnophila hippuroides, rotatas, and water sprite I am concerned about. Also read they eat dwarf baby tears (hate to say this but my angels like to nibble on nice new growth too). Anyone have any experience or advice?

I have one Siamese algae eater in my 38 gallon planted aquarium and the SAE is perfectly fine. It doesn't bother my plants or other fish. I really like it because it's quite active.

As I said in the post you made earlier. What is the tank size and tank mates?

As per my experience. SAE do a great job of cleaning up Algae when growing up. But they, as well as other Algae eaters like Plecos, have a tendency to only eat Algae wafers when they mature.

On the aggressiveness issue. I have seen aggressiveness from my SAEs. Especially towards each other. This will be more so in a smaller tank or an overcrowded tank (which was the my case). Nothing too overly serious but they can scare fish like Loaches and Corydoras away from Algae wafers.

I have never encountered any semblance of them eating my plants though. Maybe it's because Algae wafers are too delicious :D

The tank is a 220 gallon heavily planted and here is a stock list:
Fish:
10 Veil and Super Veil Angelfish (3 juvenille, 1 pair, 1 male with his 4 female harem)
21 Rummy nose tetras
12 Diamond tetras
5 German Blue Rams
4 Electric Blue Rams
2 Gold Rams
3 YoYo loaches
4 Corydoras sterbai
4 Corydoras panda
Corydoras agassizi
8 Threadfin Rainbow Fish
18 Otocinclus Catfish
3 Whiptail Cats (Farlowella gracilis)

1 Longfin Albino BNP

I also feed blanched zucchini and peas a couple times a week

I'm not sure what post from eariler, this is my first post about this. Sorry if there was a post earlier, I'm a very recent member.

May I pleeeease see some pictures. Your tank sounds A-mazing. Your plants will be just fine. The SAE may get testy when they mature. They may want the cucumber all to themselves but aside from that they will make excellent tank mates.

Only warning I echo is to make sure you have a true SAE. Flying Foxes are much different than SAEs but look pretty similar.

Rivercats said:
I'm not sure what post from eariler, this is my first post about this. Sorry if there was a post earlier, I'm a very recent member.

You're fine. You posted one in General Discussion.

Rats, it showed it didn't go through on my end and then realized I posted on the wrong board... how do I get it off? I'm too new to know how it works. Thanks for letting me know!

Rivercats said:
Rats, it showed it didn't go through on my end and then realized I posted on the wrong board... how do I get it off? I'm too new to know how it works. Thanks for letting me know!

Oh it's ok. A Mod has to remove it for you. It's really only frowned upon when people do it to get attention. No worries!

Oh lord my age is going to show here BUT I don't know how to take pic's, load them to my computer, and then post them. My one adult daughter lives here with me and has a digital camera and some type of smart phone but it's getting her to be patient enough to teach me how to use it. Thing is I really have been wanting to take pic's to record how the planting progress is advancing because I am really proud of how well it has gone. Haven't done a planted aquarium since the 80's and early 90's and boy have things changed... for the better! I got into reefs until about 07 and am just back to appreciating how beautiful a planted aquarium truly is.

Haha no worries. I'm 23 and I have noooo idea how to load pictures here. Granted I use the app for the iPhone most of the time. I really would love to see your tank. It sounds gorgeous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom