Safe to put in more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eoin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently exchanged the plastic plants in my tank for live ones. I didn’t change the substrate or the filter, thought I did dump most of the water in order to facilitate me moving the tank to a new location in my apartment. In the week since setting it up, I haven’t noticed any ammonia levels. I did have nitrite levels of about 0.4, but they dropped to less than 0.1 less than two days later, and are currently so low that I can barely detect any colour.

Several days ago (after the nitrite levels dropped), I put some more fish into the tank. The pet shop employee I spoke to, suggested I only get a few fish at a time to avoid any ammonia spikes. In the three days since putting those fish in my tank, my ammonia levels have remained at 0 and my nitrite levels have remained at the barely visible level. The nitrates have also not budged, and are well within healthy levels.

I’m wondering, as I didn’t detect any ammonia several days after I first changed my tank over, and haven’t detected any after bringing in the new fish, should it be safe to put in the last of my planned fish? Do I need to wait longer for ammonia to concentrate enough to become noticeable, or does the fact that I already have nitrates in the tank indicate my tank has already finished cycling? I know it seems like a fast cycle, but as I mentioned before, I was using old substrate and an old filter.

Should it be safe to put in the last of my fish?

when you say "the last of your fish". How many is that? You only want to add a few at a time until you are done. I don't reccomend dumping in a large qty of fish for it could cause a large ammonia spike.

The tank is 20 gal. I currently have 6 cardinals (3 of whom are fully grown, the other 3 are almost there), 1 pepper corry, and 2 pygmy gouramis (my recent addition).

By “last of my fish” I mean 4 Black phantom tetras, and 2 more pepper corrys. (plus some form of algae eater later on - haven't decided what I want)

I’m curious, when it is recommended that you not go over 1 inch of fish per gallon of water, is that for space purposes, waste purposes, or both? I realize that I will be just over that number, but will more frequent water changes solve the problem?

Space, oxygen utilization and waste production. More frequent water changes certainly will help and having a filter that turns over the water 8-10 times per hour (gph rating). Normally, you want a filter that does 6 times gph, but when you overstock, you want the number higher.
I would add the rest of your fish and keep a watch on the water parameters. It would also be a good idea to QT your fish before adding them to the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom