Safe way to despose plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 29 gallon is getting overrun with hornwort!!! About a month ago I added 2 small bunches and it's officially out of control. I know not to just toss aquatic plants in the trash for fear of invasive species take over. Should I take the plants out and let them dry out? I have considered selling them, but I just want them gone. Thanks.

I Find fire to be a very good way to deal with plants.

But seriously, just throw them anywhere that's not anywhere close to a sewer drain. the plants will dry up to a crisp.

Ziggs180 said:
I Find fire to be a very good way to deal with plants.

But seriously, just throw them anywhere that's not anywhere close to a sewer drain. the plants will dry up to a crisp.

Yep. I just compost them. Some people who live in apartments and have no lawn put them in a bucket or convalescent home and let them dry out before throwing them in the trash. If they're dry they're totally dead. If your paranoid you could boil or microwave them though... they may have you committed. ^_~

Thanks for the advice. I removed about 90-95% today. I bagged it and put it out in the trash. My blackskirt tetras seem more active with more swimming room. Give it a few weeks and I'll be repeating the process again I'm sure.

I just want to commend you for asking before just throwing it outside or something ... So many states especially Florida are being overrun by invasive species : /

Back
Top Bottom