safety question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waffle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it safe to remove the black trim on top of my 125g... If not is there a safe way to reinforce it plan is to cut a slit for and external overflow box and keep the max height of the water

I have been thinking about attaching my over flow boxes seme perm to the glass, inside and out. might be an alt idea if you can't.

Not sure really, had some shop guy say trim was just for decoration and not a have to, but I have also read warnings on top fin tanks never to use if trim is damaged or removed.

I'm pretty sure it supportsthe top that's a lot of water behind glass...I might just remove it cut the skit n put it back on

When I got my tank"used" one corner was not together, and another was lifting up. For my own peace of mind I fixed then before filing, although idk how much good they do.

waffle said:
What size tank ?

75 gal,

just to be clear, I'm not suggesting you do this. Can you find some one who could drill the tank for you?

Yes drilling works well I wouldn't mess with the trim of the tank. It holds everything together. The guy at the store probably just wanted you to by a new tank...

I've decided to go with a small overflow box on the inside of the dt about 2"x16"x7", I also plan to have a ledge extending the length of the back of the tank similar to a coast to coast but instead of a box it will just be a signal glass strip siliconed on a angle feeding into the internal box for the external I plan to modify a 5 gallon with a ba overflow in it ...the question is how big should the hole(s) be connecting the internal and external?

waffle said:
I've decided to go with a small overflow box on the inside of the dt about 2"x16"x7", I also plan to have a ledge extending the length of the back of the tank similar to a coast to coast but instead of a box it will just be a signal glass strip siliconed on a angle feeding into the internal box for the external I plan to modify a 5 gallon with a ba overflow in it ...the question is how big should the hole(s) be connecting the internal and external?

If I followed that correctly, your asking how large a hole, and connecting pipe work for the drain should be. It depends on your tank size, and pump flow. Your can google that information easily.

I'm asking how large the hole connecting the dt to the external overflow box should. Where water enters the external box...sorry about the confusion.. I drew a picture because I'm having a hard time describing it ...the 2 holes that are up right in the picture

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120729_082108.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120729_082108.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom