Safety Tips for the Ladies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got this e-mail today and wanted to share:

We can now add to the list of victims the retired 77 yr. old TCU professor from Ft Worth whose body was found last week in Oklahoma--and the 11 yr. old in Sarasota, FL. Because of these recent abductions in daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation...This is for you, and for you to share with your wife, your children, everyone you know.

After reading these 9 crucial tips, forward them to someone you care about. It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.

1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!

2. Learned this from a tourist guide in ! New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person ! is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a p! arking lot, or parking garage:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably ! in a zig -zag pattern!

8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or! killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door."

The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.

Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby ----This e-mail should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.

Shannon LaForge
Courtroom Deputy to Judge Robert Junell
U.S. District Court for the Western District

Don't be so paranoid to think that you are always about to get attacked either. That would be a crappy way to live. Just keep an eye out and despite what the Brady campaign tells you if it is legal in your state, carry a gun they save millions every year.

I got that email too!!

I think some people have no common sense, and an email like that it always good for those people to read, even if its just once.

I never thought about bashing in the light to stuick out your hand.. hehe

The email story is another one of those "gas station backseat" stories. While I guess it is completely possible, there is not one reported case of it ever happening. The story actually started in Australia and then migrated to the US. Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble!

For the other tips, good tips ... although if you have ever been locked in a trunk, you may not be able to "smash" out the taillights. Some taillights actually only have little circles that unplug or screw out only for changing light bulbs! NOW in some of the newer cars they actually have safety latches on the inside of the trunk, one pull and WHAM your out, what do you do if your flying down the interstate doing 90?????? Well .... JUMP!

Always err on the side of caution, but don't always be so paranoid!

Ugh, I hate when people say "Dont be so paranoid"
There is a difference between paranoid and being aware.
I'd rather be "paranoid" for the 2-3min I walk to my car alone at night... than to be dead because everyone told me not to be paranoid

/end rant.

"Paranoia, paranoia
Everybody's coming to get me
I'm not sick, but I'm not well....."

Sorry I couldn't help myself. It's such a good song!

I can honestly say I am a paranoid when alone, especially at night. If hubby is off at hunting camp for the weekend, I'm usually up all night, or close too it. I alwasy think it's good to have a dog. I carry pepper spray also. If I spray the wrong person, they will be in pain but not seriously wounded.

and you know, even if you can't kick out the taillights from the trunk you should have no problem getting into the wiring at least, and unplugging them. if it's at night, they might get pulled over by police for a fix-it ticket.

and don't forget many newer vehicles have internal trunk releases. criminals aren't always the most intelligent people and they may not jam/disable this safety feature.

I love how a man can say "don't be so paranoid" when they are rarely the victims of the kind of crime we're talking about here. I guess you have to be female to understand the fear. :roll:

Thanks for the tips. Even if the email is part of an urban legend I can tell you, as a former police officer and now border patrol agent's wife, that most of these will work. Pay attention girls, it could save your life.

And you should keep a gas mask in your purse in case there is a full blown biological or chemical warfare terrorist attack that happens simultaneously while you're being abducted. Oh and ALWAYS carry duck tape!

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...."
Carl Zwanzig

May the force be with you :mrgreen:

Seriously though I think all women should take self defence classes and some type of martial arts. Get in shape, eat well, and learn how to fight so you can defend yourself if ever need be. Oh and watch lots of Buffy for inspiration. Seriously most criminals aren't in the best shape and if a man is trying to "abduct" you he will have a much harder time if you know how to use your body as a weapon.

I also get very paranoid when I am home alone. The slightest squeek and I am freaking out. Now that we have two cats that I swear are noctornal, I hear tons of sounds at night and I don't pay any attention to them. But at night if I walk to my car and there is a van parked next to mine, I won't get in it. I've heard of stories of it happening, TRUE stories in the news. If its at the mall I will go back into the store and do some more shopping. I'd rather be a little bit paranoid than be dead because in this day and age, anything happens. People do stupid things and attack people for no reason. It happens every day. Last month a guy shot and killed his girlfriend and 9 month old baby because she forgot to pick something up at the grocery store. You can never be too safe anymore.

I don't think it is a matter of being paranoid, it is a matter of being aware of the risks. How would you feel if your girlfriend, mother or wife landed up in one of these situations and didn't have any knowledge to be prepared with? I know that myself as well as most of the women I know take knowledge in stride and still enjoy life without paranoia. If anything should ever happen to me or my friends, we have some additional info to help us out of the situation. I don't expect anything like this to happen to me, but there have been home invasions not far from me in the middle of the day. So awareness is very good IMO.

never heard of duck tape.... quack quack....
Sorry
Duct tape, tape that is used on air ducts.... hence the name duct tape.
And guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I think the "don't be so paranoid" posts reflect the fact that there's a line where a person is simply taking their worries too far. An example is trained/learned paranoia. I know a guy who fought in the special forces in Vietnam. He's almost impossible to go out with just because he can't sit with his back to a door. He freaks out if he has to.

I agree that everyone should be aware. No offense to those that don't, but I do all of the awareness stuff as second nature. A good martial arts instructor can instill this in you as well. So can listening to Yoda in the Star Wars movies (5 and 6, that is).

If you're that worried when approaching your car, fist the biggest key on your key ring. Place the handle side in your palm and the key side sticking out between your first and second fingers. Here is an example of the "professional" application of this method (for clarity). Aim for a soft area, preferably low. Chances are you won't get a shot at the neck and up as everybody (even pacifists) have a natural reaction to protect their throat and face. If you get a free shot to the head though, take it. If puttin a key in somebody's ribs opens a shot to the head, depending on the situation, take it. Even if you can't hit hard, you can at least hit "sharp".

Realistically speaking, if your state allows conceal carry and you are worried about becoming a victim, make use of it. If your state does not allow conceal carry, well, that's your decision; I know a lot of people who were happy when the law allowed them to be "legal". Like them or not, guns are out there. They give some people an inflated sense of importance making them feel more powerful. They give other people a sense of feeling safe (whether they are or not). But the bottom line is that regardless of how you fell about them, it doesn't take them away from those who would use them in an unlawful manner.

Something else to think about when talking about any weapon (even a punch) is that a weapon can be taken away and used against you. Personally, although my state allows conceal carry, I haven't gotten a permit yet. But I don't carry a gun either as I wouldn't want it to be used against me. I have other means of protecting myself in a close area confrontation and would prefer to exhaust those methods first. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't want to have to kill somebody regardless of the situation; guns can easily make that goal unachievable. When it comes to my life or yours though, the choice is easy.

Oh yeah, elbows do make great weapons, but they are almost useless unless you actually train your body in the movements required to develop the power necessary to make the hit successful. They are easy to learn, but aren't used in everyday motion.

Florida has just passed a law pertaining to situations in where you fell threatened you can now use weapons to protect yourself ... i.e. if someone approaches you with a tire iron, and you have a gun (of course with conceal/carry permit) you can defend yourself by any means necessary!

I personally think it's a great law, but many people here say that it will just become anarchy ... people shooting people for no known reasons. What they don't understand I think is that if you can't prove that the person intended to harm you then your up ^%&#'s creek with no paddles!

I am signed up for my conceal/carry permit course and waiting to get my firearm. WHY? I want to be prepared ... unfortunately it's a sick sick world we live in these days and I'm sorry to say but if someone comes at me with any sort of weapon my elbow is not going to cut it!!! I'm goin out shootin. Label me militious or what have you, but the overall protection and safety of myself and my family is way more important than anything in this world!

As for the ladies ... I think women should be trained and armed at all times, unfortunately women in general are preyed upon more then men and most times can't defend themselves. I know Iam buying my wife a stun gun and mace ... I will show her how to properly use them and where the best areas on the body are to hit someone with 50,000volts!

I've inisted my wife carry the key chain version (always handy) of the pepper spray when walking to and from her car.

IMO judo, or other close contact self defense training is a good choice too. When I first took a judo class, I found out very quickly (at about 150 lbs back then) that when leverage is used properly, that I could render a 210 man helpless or get him out of my face or off my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom