Sailfin tang problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billburroughs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know if it is just an acclimation problem or if this guy is sick. It's a smallish pacific sailfin tang I got yesterday afternoon at the lfs. He seemed fine at the store, but after an 1:00-1:30 hours of acclimating him to the tank, once I put him in he seems like an emotional mess. He seems extremely stressed and has been hiding behind the rocks in various places for almost the entire time. He has not eaten yet and seems absolutely terrified of something in the tank. His tank mates are a four stripe damsel and a ocellaris clown. Neither of these guys is tormenting him, in fact the damsel seems terrified of him. At the store he was very social and looked in perfect health. I think I may have seem him scratching earlier, but I can't be sure. I don't see any sign of disease (ich, etc). I've been watching him most of the day and he has only improved slightly. He seems at least as afraid of his reflection as anything else. My params are as follows for the tests I have:
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Amm: 0
Ph: 8.2
Temp: 80
Hg: 1.024

Could it be cyanide as I saw with some other postings here? My equipment is as follows:
45g tank with 6" dsb and 60lbs of fiji lr
Remora pro skimmer
2 300 gph ph

The other fish are totally fine and this tank has been pristine. Any thoughts?

My first thought is that the fish is just panicky in his new home. Give it a day or two for it to settle in.

Thanks for the advice. My wife says I'm like an expectant mother every time I get a new fish. I put some Nori in the tank about noon and shortly after I posted above he started chowing down on it like a big dog. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again. This site RULES.

Most tangs will seem very panicky when first introduced, i have a sailfin and he had his sail open and darted from place to place.. 2 days later he was fine..

I would give it some more time. I am sure it is just settling in. I must say, a 45gal tank is just too small for a sailfin, even a small one. This fish needs to be in at least a 75gal tank, 125gal is better. It is hard to resist such a beautiful fish. Just know it will not be happy for long in a 45gal tank. Sorry.

Yeah, unfortunely he did not look very big in the store. Once I got him home I realized my mistake. I will be upgrading in the not too distant future for more reasons than just this.

For future reference, do not feed newly introduced fish the first day. The "frenzy" created by the other fish (and possible aggression) will only further stress the fish. If there is any aggression or the new arrival is acting overtly skiddish, turn off the lights. Ambient room light will often help calm them.

Another reason QT introduction can be so important. It allows new arrivals more time to adjust unhindered and allows you more control over their environment incase it has trouble feeding or aiding in stress. You would also be avoiding the "I might have ick in my main" issue.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info. I have a tank I could use for a QT and I'll get that thing going. I did not know about not feeding them the first day, makes sense, but I did have the lights off the last couple days and that definitely seemed to help. Should I put LR in my QT tank? What about live sand? Do I need to keep something in there to keep the cycle going? Thanks

billburroughs said:
Should I put LR in my QT tank? What about live sand?
Neither, only inert materials should be used. See here for a basic set up guide...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

Do I need to keep something in there to keep the cycle going?
If you are currently in the process of aquiring new fish, having a cycled QT is a great advantage. I would highly recommend you keep it running for a few months afterwards to be on the safe side, permanently if you have the space. Just keep feeding the QT every few days to keep the bacteria fed if there are no fish in the tank.

If a QT is needed in an emergency, setting up "on the fly" may sometimes be necessary. This is where having some sort of seeding material available for transfering from the main to the QT comes in handy. Again, preferabley something inert and non sorbant. Bio ball, bale, sponges and the like. No carbon, polyfilters or resins.

(This rant is not directed at you ) I have never understood how someone could condem cycling new tanks with fish and then recommend adding fish to an uncycled QT. If you know you will be buying fish, take the extra step and cycle the QT first. You'll have much better success.

Cheers
Stve

Back
Top Bottom