Salt at bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank I am now starting. I started up my powerhead, powerfilter and my protein skimmer. I mixed in my salt after 12 hours however I realised that salt has settled at the bottomof the tank. I tried mixing it by hand but to no avail. I have taken readings using an coralife deep six hydrometer and I am getting different readings between 1.020 and 1.022. Can someone please help me.

What kind of power head and how many? Is the tank empty? If so run the ph on the bottom of the tank for another day to properly mix the salt. Please do a fishless cycle once you get your sg correct and before adding any stock.

I agree with Micah. I have noticed pieces of "salt" when I premix my water, I thinkk, sometimes, it is extras in the salt mix and really should be taken out or not put into your tank. Since you are mixing the SW in your tank, whatever doesn't dissolve, I would suck out. I have also noticed my hydormeter did not give me accurate readings when the water was cold. I have switched to a Portable Refractometer http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9957&N=2004+113761 and love the ease with which I can test my water.

I have one penguin powerhead and yes the tank is empty and I will do a fishless cycle.

1140? I'd get another one or Maxi-jet 1200 for good circulation.

Is that your only flow? 170 GPH isn't much and probably why your salt didn't mix properly. I'd aim for a total GPH flow of 800-1000 gph for a 55 gal tank.

Unfortunately i have resorted to using my had but its tedious

Oh, to stir the water? Definitely get the ph recommended above, it will be much easier on your hand!

I use a small PH to mix my salt up as well, it moves something like 295gph. One thing I have notice is that if I add the salt slowly and give the PH a chance to work I don't have nearly the settling that I used to when I just added all the salt needed for a given amount of water. I also agree that much more flow is going to be needed for your tank. One other thing....I wouldn't use your hand to stir your salt mix up. Use something like a large plastic serving spoon that can be dedicated to the tank and NOT washed in SOAP. Soap or other chemicals that may be on yourhands can cause porblems in your tank.

How about some more info on the complete system, and what you plan on doing with it? :D

Well i never thought about the spoon thanks for that advice. I currently have a penguin bio wheel 350 filter, the 660 penguin ph, a 65 gallon coralife skimmer. I plan on using the tank for fowlr. I want to start of with one clown and one yellow tail damsel.

The clown would be nice, what kind? I would skip the damsel, they tend to get agressive as they get older. My yellow tails aren't that bad, but they are in with a blue devil and 3 stripe. Each group has their 3rd of the tank.

Not certain if i have this rite but an ocerlaris clown.

we are starting to look for the fish we are going to stock our tank with & have decided on a mated pair of ocellaris also...we have looked on liveaquaria, saltwaterfish, & a few other sites & can't find a mated pair. does anyone know where we can buy a pair online?

Back
Top Bottom