Salty Noobs "Not So Nano" 29g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like you put them on a good flat rock too. That will help out in them spreading good. Just a pointer, id save room for other corals especially if thats one of your highest rock platforms. Trust me you will end up getting some high light high flow corals before your done. Ive have to relocate coral and change rockscape countless amounts of times when i get something new. Especially in a tank your size, real estate is very valueable. Jusy trying to give advice but once you get the hang of fragging its really fun (except for superglue on your fingers!). And rearranging rockwork once established can be a HUGE headache.

thanks for the advice paul, i tried to find the biggest medium sized flat rock at my lrs to get them to spread faster, and its about the 2nd highest in my tank but im working with a local guy parting out a 55g reef with about 80lbs of lr and i want to get about another 20lbs in this tank and 40lbs in my dt tank and cure the rest.

until then i think the zoas will grow like weeds where theyre at because im getting sand bed diatoms with the fluval fs 25w and theyre pretty high up. i can always move them when i get a torch or hammer, but it should be good for now, im going to wait about 1-2 more months for a higher experience level coral, and im spot feeding rods fish foods reef blend at the moment so im expecting weed-like growth lol im shooting for this, but i little more mixed in.

Attachments

• 2987448423_c7c04f10ae_z.jpg
    2987448423_c7c04f10ae_z.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 131
More updates,

I lost a banggai cardinal this week :( tis a sad day indeed. We don't know what happened everyone else is fine even the inverts so I know its not a parameter problem but I guess these things happen.

In other news, my zoas seem to be recovering well and heads that never opened up before are starting to show some color under the blue leds and I'm so happy they're showing good health and the spot feeding is paying off. Here a night shot guys oh and my skunk cleaner photobombing the pic.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131031_221356.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131031_221356.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 122
Was it a tank raised one, the wild caught ones just don't do well. Sorry for your loss.

Was it a tank raised one, the wild caught ones just don't do well. Sorry for your loss.

According to my lrs owner most of the stock is wild caught with some exceptions here and there. My wife was so devastated.

That stinks if they were wild caught banghais, they aren't doing so well in the wild anymore due to over collection. They tend to now last long in aquariums either probably due to collection methods, I'd search for an aqua cultured one next time if you want another.

Sad to hear. Tell them you want a tank bred one if you get another. I always shoot for tank bred, but alot of species are unlikley to breed in a tank. Bangaii's deffinately will though. I lost 4 forktail blennys, as you know. They were all wild caught. BTW how is your forktail blenny doing??

That stinks if they were wild caught banghais, they aren't doing so well in the wild anymore due to over collection. They tend to now last long in aquariums either probably due to collection methods, I'd search for an aqua cultured one next time if you want another.

ill ask but he was doing so well, eating good and everything but just overnight he was fine then bam, just leaning over to one side, sinking slowly getting pushed by my powerheads etc, it was sad to watch.

Sad to hear. Tell them you want a tank bred one if you get another. I always shoot for tank bred, but alot of species are unlikley to breed in a tank. Bangaii's deffinately will though. I lost 4 forktail blennys, as you know. They were all wild caught. BTW how is your forktail blenny doing??

well i hope hes just being a blenny, but my wife called me this morning and said he was tail-up facing down next to my thermometer this morning, i told her to try to touch him and see if he bolts off (normal reaction for him) because ive had about 3 scares with him now, but ive learned he likes to chill in awkward positions usually, but hes been eating well and hides from my flame angel well too.

ill ask but he was doing so well, eating good and everything but just overnight he was fine then bam, just leaning over to one side, sinking slowly getting pushed by my powerheads etc, it was sad to watch.

well i hope hes just being a blenny, but my wife called me this morning and said he was tail-up facing down next to my thermometer this morning, i told her to try to touch him and see if he bolts off (normal reaction for him) because ive had about 3 scares with him now, but ive learned he likes to chill in awkward positions usually, but hes been eating well and hides from my flame angel well too.

Yep normal. Mine all did it and so did my canary. They like to 'stick' to the inside corners.

Yep normal. Mine all did it and so did my canary. They like to 'stick' to the inside corners.

lol i feel so much better now, i thought i got an abnormal blenny but thats good to know, maybe i got a spiderman blenny or something lol

Well guys I came back from vacation today and found my dried up little blenny on the floor, man I should've known he'd jump when I wasn't home. Its a sad day.

Well guys I came back from vacation today and found my dried up little blenny on the floor, man I should've known he'd jump when I wasn't home. Its a sad day.
Aw I remember when my clownfish jumped :( I felt like it was my fault, but there's nothing you can really do other than having a tight fitting lid. Sorry for your loss :(

Aww man. I had alot of hope for yoy with that guy. So sorry to hear man. I had a mccoskers flasher wrasse that jumped twice. Luckily i witnessed both. I actually caught him with my hands the first time. It scared the **** out of me!

Aw I remember when my clownfish jumped :( I felt like it was my fault, but there's nothing you can really do other than having a tight fitting lid. Sorry for your loss :(

And before I left I thought about putting something on the top so he couldn't get like a tupperware lid or something but I was sure he'd be fine.

Aww man. I had alot of hope for yoy with that guy. So sorry to hear man. I had a mccoskers flasher wrasse that jumped twice. Luckily i witnessed both. I actually caught him with my hands the first time. It scared the **** out of me!

Yeah I had a lot of hope for him as well I really thought I'd see him grow up and get super yellow and blue with looooong forks on the tail. But I guess ill try another one this week but after I mourn a bit :/

that's why you need a cover. a cover will cost anywhere from $20-$50, a small price for the SW hobby when you consider how much a fish is.

that's why you need a cover. a cover will cost anywhere from $20-$50, a small price for the SW hobby when you consider how much a fish is.

i dont like the look of a lid, especially the factory big bulky black ones, i thought about 1/4" egg crate but ive heard horror stories about how if they do jump and land on the crate they cant get back in the water, and acrylic is way overpriced, my only hope is a versa top, but theyre pretty pricey as well.. :ermm:

i dont like the look of a lid, especially the factory big bulky black ones, i thought about 1/4" egg crate but ive heard horror stories about how if they do jump and land on the crate they cant get back in the water, and acrylic is way overpriced, my only hope is a versa top, but theyre pretty pricey as well.. :ermm:

even the mesh top? its the one I'm using and barely visible

**Update 11/8/2013**

Today I finally got my hands on a metallic green hammer and I couldn't be happier with it guys its so colorful..! I got it for $15 at my lrs it wad the last frag, it wasn't showing much in the frag tank but I brought it home with lots of hope, gave it a dip, and put it in. Now its opening up and loving the flow.

Back
Top Bottom