Sand amount?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm pretty well set on redoing my 55 gallon tank with sand instead of gravel... Its a 55 gallon long, and I have about 50 pounds of gravel in it, which gives me just under two inches of gravel in there...

I was thinking 3 bags of 20 pounds would be sufficient and Ive been told by a few people that would be sufficient, but Ive also heard you should aim more towards 2 pounds of sand per gallon of water.

Thoughts?

What kind of sand are you using? A lot of people will use Pool Filter Sand (PFS) or playsand. Both are sold in 50lb bags for $3-8/bag. I used almost all of the 50lbs in my 30g long (36x12") when I did playsand.

2 lbs of sand per gallon is a LOT of sand!

My 55g is sand substrate (pool filter sand). I used less than 70lbs and have a minimum depth of 2.5 inches, and in the back - it is nearly 4 inches!

Im not getting it from amazon, it was just the only place I could thing of to look up the sand.

I used Black TMS in my 29 gallon aquarium. I used 25 pounds and it averages about 1.5" deep, which I think looks great. I may add another 5 pounds at some point, but to me 1.5" is plenty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom