Sand caused cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
How can I clear up this cloud??

I washed it but noticed that the water has been cloudy for hours, should I rewash the sand? Do a water change? Or let the filter run??

Pictures.

Attachments

• image-3440622712.jpg
    image-3440622712.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image-4003542069.jpg
    image-4003542069.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 96
That's nothing to worry about, a couple water changes will clear that right up. As long as there is no large pieces of sand that will damage the filter it's ok to turn it on.

Last edited:
ok, thanks! I just did a 50% water change now. Still cloudy, but I figured I would let the filter take care of it tonight. is it safe to put a fish in this tank even though it is still cloudy? Just wondering.

Is your tank cycled? Sounds like you just set it up, in which case it isn't safe for a fish.

It is starting to clear up now. Yes, I did cycle it, I used the "bacteria in a bottle" worked for me before, also, I put in for a bit my old filter from my other tank. I just dipped it in and squeezed the filter in the tank then took it out.

Hm, it doesn't sound like those things alone will cycle the tank, especially since most of those bacteria products are a scam--bacteria can't survive without light and food as long as they've been on the shelf.

The only way to tell is by testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Do you have a liquid test kit?

Well, this bacteria in a bottle has worked for me quite a while now, but I understand what you are saying. I do not have a test kit or at least a liquid one that I know I should have. I have a test strip one, which I discovered is not accurate, especially since it gave untreated tap water an almost perfect rating haha. I did a 50% water change and added more solution.

You're right that it's not accurate... but most people on here would agree that your best bet is to get a liquid test kit before adding fish. It's a necessary investment.

Ok, I will have to see about getting one. I have never used one before adding fish in my life lol. My other fish seem fine without one, but I know I should buy that test kit anyway. Especially so I know when to do water changes.

Yeah. Obviously your tank can cycle without having one, but it's just safer and healthier overall to know for sure. If you have any other questions about fishless cycling check out the articles and look at eco's article on it.

I just had the same thing happen to me, major cloud city. The funny thing is, I've used this play sand before, cleaned it and poured it in my other tank with zero clouds, it was like pouring water. This time it's a mess.

I think last time I cleaned it a few more times then I did this time. I did around 7 this time and I think 10 the other. Strange how they say you don't have to wash it but 10 times is a lot of washing of sand. It was worth it though because it was clear and easy to pour. This was only the first layer though, so I'm going to wait until the sand settles and spend extra time cleaning the next layer of sand.

Back
Top Bottom