Sand depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Normalnot1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some please tell me what MTS is?
Snail I'm guessing... What kind.

Also I used white silica sand in my 29. I am pretty new to sand and used a very deep layer, plus built a tiered area out of sand and rock.
Can sand can be too deep? I saw a mention of sulfur dioxide in sand.
I have been trying to figure out why I have blackish spots forming down in the sand that I can see through the glass. Are these the result of sand too deep? Are they the sulfur dioxide mentioned? Are they dangerous to my fish or snail? Are they why I can't seem to keep this tank clear? Will Sue find out about her husbands affair with Rob..... Oh wait! Skip the last one! ?
All the tanks I've seen with the black sand are beautiful. They are building a Tractor Supply here in town so by the time I can set up my 36 bow front it will be with the Black Beauty!
I appreciate your help!

Deep sand beds (3"+) will serve to do one thing. There will be an oxygenated top layer while the deep sand will be deprived of oxygen. In the oxygen deprived areas there will be a growth of bacteria that will consume nitrates and release nitrogen gas instead. Other gasses can accumulate in the sand as well. This is what you are seeing with the grey areas of sand.

Overall this won't be dangerous. The air bubbles will accumulate but they rise to the surface very quickly and leave the tank without affecting the tank much if at all.

MTS - Malaysian Trumpet Snails

They tunnel into sand substrates

I think they are good for deep sand as they tunnel it allows oxygen to circulate better

They do tunnel into the substrate loosesng it up for plants to grow. I actually have them in my 55g.

However they will only burrow at most 2" deep, so they wont go into the anaerobic areas and they tend to breed out of control and can overrun a tank.

There you go better advice from Mebbid. I knew a little about those snails but not a lot

I wouldn't have thought to suggest them :)

They are useful but there's a fine print that goes along with them which quite a few people aren't aware of :)

Glad you mentioned that! I like snails, just in moderation! The idea of them multiplying out of control is the stuff horror movies are made of! Eeeeeeeeeeekkkkk!

Back
Top Bottom