Sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too bad there aren't any petcos in canada... Looked on their site. Have you ever tried play sand?

I haven't. I have seen it at Lowe's and Home Depot but never considered it since the Petco sand works so well. I'd think Petco would ship to Canada though.

What size is that tank? It's only looks to be about 30 gallon.

Not even, just a 20. Won the fish at a carnival last summer, walked into a pet store not knowing a **** thing about fish keeping or how much they will grow and bought a 20 gallon because it was on sale (doh!) But they're getting closer to their new 90 gallon home, doing eco complete and sand top substrate for that.

I use Petco Aquarium Sand, just switched over yesterday from gravel because I noticed the barbs on one of my cories was looking a little worn down. I cant wait to see how they like this. I had typical clouding, some air bubbles hanging out on the bottom, which is all to be expected, im sure within a couple days those bubbles will be gone. Looks 100% better. I'll be using sand from now on.

I use Petco Aquarium Sand, just switched over yesterday from gravel because I noticed the barbs on one of my cories was looking a little worn down. I cant wait to see how they like this. I had typical clouding, some air bubbles hanging out on the bottom, which is all to be expected, im sure within a couple days those bubbles will be gone. Looks 100% better. I'll be using sand from now on.

Post some pics, would love to see.

I took all the decorations out for the swap from gravel, i'll have em back in soon, bout 2 weeks. Im gonna take advantage of this swap, i got my fish in a 10 gallon right now, im gonna add ammonia to the tank to build some BB so in a couple weeks i should be able to fully stock this thing and i'll take another pic and post it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 41
I took all the decorations out for the swap from gravel, i'll have em back in soon, bout 2 weeks. Im gonna take advantage of this swap, i got my fish in a 10 gallon right now, im gonna add ammonia to the tank to build some BB so in a couple weeks i should be able to fully stock this thing and i'll take another pic and post it up.

Question: when u have ur water level higher, does your filter shoot tiny bubbles everywhere?

idk, i haven't had it topped off yet. I've kept it 1-2 inches low cuz i heard it helps oxygen get in the water which aids with BB growth. Why?

Yeah thats the filter. I havent noticed any issues with it like that yet. I guess I wont know till I top it off huh? I do hate its design though. Theres barely any room inside for filter media, and it takes forever to do its job.. Can't wait to get a aquaclear 70 running along side it :)

I just converted over to sand about a month ago. I wish I had done it sooner. Just as everyone is saying, wash it really good. I put 80lbs in my 55g.
Before

View attachment 168140

After

View attachment 168141
I think your tank looks great now. With respect, it's gone from an 1980's look to a very modern look!!!

Your tank looks super. Do you mean your getting bubbles coming up from the sand???

Have you used any seeded media to help it along or are you starting the cycle from scratch???

No bubbles coming up from sand, just some sitting on top of the sand. From what ive read thats normal for sand.

Yeah its seeded, i actually had all the fish from my 10 gallon in it for about almost a week, with the filter from that tank on my 36, it was working ok. Until i decided i hated the gravel that was in it and i seen all these sand setups and went with that. Since i took the fish out to change the gravel i decided to just keep the fish out and fully cycle my aqueon filter, then just fully stock my 36 at once :)

Back
Top Bottom