Sand reuse on new setups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El_fishman616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I been told not to use sand that I have already used on a new set up. Seems like such a waste of money if I throw it a way because I have at least 130 pounds of sand. Question is have anyone reuses the sand or always buy new. Like to hear your guys opinions on the matter

I had it sitting on my garage for at least six months and it still a little moist.

I wouldn't suggest it, but if you decide to go this route I would rinse your sand heavily and several times before putting it into the tank to try to get all the gunk that'll nuke the tank out of there.

This kinda sounds a good idea for seeding, or would it fall under the category of sand stirring and not good for the tank it's coming out of?

If you dont rinse it you can use it to cycle the tank But i'd rinse the daylights out of it Put it some 5 gal pails run water and mix till the water runs clear

I would not use it. There most likely is alot of waste in that sand. New sand is not expensive and would have a better chance. JME

Where I live 40 pound bag is 55 dollars and I haves 150 gallon tank I have to fill so it can get very expensive I would say

Rinse it thoroughly. I've used old sand plenty of times, but I rinsed it until clear water came out of it when it was stirred. After all, it all was used initially!

Rinse it thoroughly. I've used old sand plenty of times, but I rinsed it until clear water came out of it when it was stirred. After all, it all was used initially!

Thanks for the replies! My tank is about 2 months old that's why I was wondering about reusing the sand. Out of curiosity what do you rinse the sand with? Tap Water?

I do i just fill a 5 gal pail 2/3 full then rinse with garden hose stirring the sand until the water runs clear.

I do i just fill a 5 gal pail 2/3 full then rinse with garden hose stirring the sand until the water runs clear.

Do you have to worry about the contaminants in tap water if you're rinsing sand for your SW tank? Just cause the water evaporates aren't the heavy metals still in the sand?

No. you don't have to worry about contaminants in tap water when rinsing sand. That little bit isn't going to hurt anything.
That said, a 2 month old sand bed doesn't need any rinsing IMO. It's very new, and didn't have enough time to gather much detritus.

Back
Top Bottom