Sand settling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, when i Last had an aquarium I used sand. I like it, I love Cory cats and loaches and other bottom dwellers. So I rinsed my sand and filled up this aquarium I've run my filter for 24 hours and the tank is still cloudy!! I can even see to the back! I just did a 90% water change and it's all kicked back up and even cloudier. Have I missed a step?? Why won't my water clear up? Don't worry there's no fish in there yet, I still have to cycle the tank, but I want my
Water clear!!

How well did you rinse it, and what kind of sand did you get?

I used play sand, and I dumped it in a bucket, filled it with water, sloshed it around, dumped off the top layer or water, repeated twice.

Play sand is not best choice..Go with Pool filter sand and rinse well...
It would seem clear [no pun intended] that the play sand is not rinsed enough?
Play sand is all different sized grains that are not best like pool filter sand which is sifted and sized to allow flow through it...Just MY opinion,and a few others I believe.....

I have done several water changes. I am worried about the filter, but I wanted to make sure it is safe to add fish, my kids don't have the patience I have [emoji23][emoji23] a few tetras could save me a world of headache

If you have to put fish right in then at least get Tetra Safe Start [TSS] or Dr. Tims One and Only to get the bacteria cycle started so you don't have get new fish every week.
I would want the water clear so you can see fish?

Back
Top Bottom