Sand sifting star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a sifting star a few weeks ago and all is well but after talking to this guy who works at the LFS told me I should get rid of it because they eat all the " living out of the sand" I believe he was talking about the copods and other bugs that hide in the sand, iv always read that they sift through the sand at night looking for uneaten food and detritus, may need feeding if your tank is very clean but never come across sifting stars that eat bugs??

Should I take this star back to LFS or is this guy talking crap?

Cheers

They need a very well established sandbed, and eat bugs in the sand? Uhm what? How new is your tank? I recommend you take it back, because it will starve without a very established sand bed

Agree,you need to take it back,they will eventually starve even in a large established tank.

Hmmm. I have one in my 200 gallon tank. He seems to be doing fine. But only had him for 3 weeks

Hard to say. Half is new live sand and the other half is from a established 75 gallon tank that got shut down. The tank itself is only a couple months old.

Fish-guy said:
Hard to say. Half is new live sand and the other half is from a established 75 gallon tank that got shut down. The tank itself is only a couple months old.

Hmm, it might starve still. Im not sure if there are any ways to feed them

My tank is 50 gal and I have a large open space of 2" sand, my tank is a year old and is doing very well as I always keep a close eye, I think I will take it back any way but this guy at the LFS seems to think I don't do any research so this is why I had to ask on here, his advice is quiet poor and I'll remember to get a second opinion next time I'm fed his crap lol,

The reason I got this star is so it turned my sand over keeping it looking extremely clean so if I take it back what would you advise to replace him??

Cheers for the replies guys

Back
Top Bottom