Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea this is really interesting. I had never thought of it, but it makes a lot of sense, and just to be on the safe side, when I finally do switch to sand I think I'll put some of that eggcrate in. But where do you buy it?

egg crate is popular in reef tanks too, for that same reason. Typically I've read that the bottom of fish tanks is tempered (well, all of it at that size), especially at that size, so the egg crate isn't necessary. But i say for $11 a sheet, it can't hurt.

So both the sand and eggcrate can be bought at home depot? Between that and the gutter guard I use for my filter intake, home depot is earning it's keep for the fish world. They even have PVC for ghostknifes!

now my big question is which type of sand should be purchased? grain size and such... i was looking at this "cichlid sand" is that legit or is there something just as good i can buy for cheaper?

also a side question, im getting a new tank and its that ugly woodgrain color, is there any rules to painting it black? like which type of paint or if paint is no good somehow for fish...

OsciTheOscar said:
now my big question is which type of sand should be purchased? grain size and such... i was looking at this "cichlid sand" is that legit or is there something just as good i can buy for cheaper?

also a side question, im getting a new tank and its that ugly woodgrain color, is there any rules to painting it black? like which type of paint or if paint is no good somehow for fish...

Bump. I know how much sand I want now, but I'm asking myself pretty much all the same questions as you lol.

now my big question is which type of sand should be purchased? grain size and such... i was looking at this "cichlid sand" is that legit or is there something just as good i can buy for cheaper?...

The choices of sand are almost limitless, is there and color your looking for?

I would use Krylon Fusion spray paint for the trim, tape off the trim and cover the tank to prevent paint from hitting the inside of the tank itself.

well i was thinking black would be nice, maybe some white in the black? dunno whats done mostly by others, but if anything, all black... and i was thinking finer grain since im switching from gravel to sand...

and so painting the trim wont hurt as long as i cover it? i just hate the woodgrain color, but im gettin a pretty good deal on a 45gal full setup + stand...

Any recommendations for white sand? I was kind of on the fence on going white or black, but my gf said she liked the white sand better so that pretty much decided it for me.

Oh also, I've heard that, comparatively, the white sand mutes the colors on the fish and black sand causes them to color up more. Anyone know how strong this effect is? Has anyone here had both kinds of sand? If the effect is really strong it might be enough to sway my gf lol.

I bought white pool filter sand since it was all the rage, and I can't stand it. The colors of the fish are dramaticly washed compared to black sand, especially on some species of mbuna. Now like lighter sand the fish can darken as well, I've had some Frontosa so dark you could hardly see the stripes.

Yeah I changed to black sand in my 10 mot long ago, and it deff. Makes my fish look so much brighter. Also I read that darker substrates can help calm fish down

I didn't notice a huge difference, but I do feel like my crowntail was less nippy with the tetras after changingg to black sand to gravel, but I also threw driftwood in there and they have tons of cool hiding spots

k just ordered 160 lbs of tahitian moon sand, woot im excited now... im gonna have my new tank probably before i get my sand, is it cool to cycle my tank before i get my sand or should i just wait?

Are you fishless cycling or using fish in? If it's fishless it fine to start now, fish in would mean removing the fish to put in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom