Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowsdime

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over the least year my tank has been running, with all my weekly cleaning I've lost a pretty good amount of sand, specially after the 2 long power outages here in ct there has been a lot of vaccumin of the sand, what's the best way to way to replace the sand with out effecting anything

You can easily add more sand. I recently added 20 pounds to my 135g. The way to do this is as follows: Purchase (or steal) high quality sand designed for saltwater tanks. Rinse it out with filtered, R/O water. Some will say you can use tap water to rinse it, I would not do this. Then, once your rinsed water is no longer foggy, you can wait for the sand to dry (which will take forever), or you don't have to wait, and use a long piece of PVC pipe. Place the pipe upright in the aquarium. Using a funnel, pour the sand into the pipe and softly direct where the sand goes at the bottom of the tank. This prevents all the problems associated with sand being blown all over the tank, the resulting sand fog that blacks out your tank for a few hours and the time it takes to clear off sand from your corals and rock.

Sounds like a good plan to doin it, I shouldn't need "live sand" right just regular stuff is fine?? I like the sand with the small pink particles in it I think it's Fiji pink or something like that

Just added the sand what a mess!! Haha, can't see anything in the tank, but I thought I would put it in right b4 a water change so I can pull alot of the floating soot out with the siphon, I'm waiting for my replacement ro to come up to temp then I'm gunna change it out Hopfully it works out, I got the sand w the pink speckles in it I think it looks nice

Back
Top Bottom