Saw a 110 tall yesterday. I'm in Love!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was browsing the LFS yesterday and saw they had just received a new Marineland tank with odd proprtions. It was a 110 tall, 48"x18"x30". The glass was about 1/2" thick.

Here's a crappy picture:
104_110gal.JPG

I've got a 25" tall 70 now and I use a spray bar fitted vertically in one corner. It circulates the entire tank. The bar is custom made, though. I used 1/2" CPVC and drilled a 3/16" hole every inch along the length...

I have a 150 that is similar in design. It is 48x24x31. I use two canister filters for the filtration.

Have you considered how you are going to work on it? Unless you are built like an Orang Utan, you won't be able to reach the bottom of the tank, without leaning into it. that tank is basically a 90 with an extra 6" of useless depth (or a 75 with an extra9"). I prefer tanks that are better proportioned, horizontally, as they are easier to aquascape, and no more than 24" deep so I can work on them. However, to each their own.

I like the tall setup. It is more difficult to reach the bottom, but after you get used to it, it's not a big deal. We've found ways around it. I think the added height looks very nice.

I have a 110 with those dimensions and I find it to be a royal pain in the butt. Even with a ladder, I can't reach the bottom. I have to have my husband do any maintenance in the bottom of the tank for me and even he has a hard time reaching. I have tongs to help but they can't be used for things like planting plants. :?

That was another reason I was afraid of the tank was the ability to reach the bottom but I do like the tall tanks. I think they look good.

Back
Top Bottom