Schooling tank mates for Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vondutch68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple larger Angels(about 4" to 5") in a 55 gallon. I have Harlequin Raspboras in with them but the Angels have eaten some of them, taking them from 20 down to 12. I didn't think they would eat them but I was wrong. I would really like a group of schooling fish in the tank but don't want to sacrifice any more fish. Does anyone have any ideas? Silvertip Tetras maybe? I know these 2 angels have established their territory but have not ever shown any aggression towards the 3 Rainbows. Thanks.

Tiger barbs have worked in the past, but they have a potential to fin-nip your angels. I couldn't keep barbs with my angels because of it. Again, **disclaimer and whatnot** all fish are different, so they may be the perfect match. I wish you luck. :)

Black Ruby Barbs aren't as aggressive as Tigers, perhaps those would work. Also, Rummynose and Bloodfin tetras are good schoolers and (I think) are big enough to not be a tempting buffet snack for the angels. :icecream:

Cherry or gold barbs are an option too. Black skirt tetras have a taller body so they will not be eaten. Also, the serpae and bleeding heart tetra. Most angels are ok with rummy nose, black tetras, or silver tip tetras. but, that depends on if you can get decently ones since your angels may well eat juveniles. Some angels are more predatory than others in communities.
I had celebes rainbows for awhile and they were great fun to watch.

I'd do a school of full grown rummynose tetra. They should be a bit too big to end up being snacks for the angels; and they are one of, if not the, tightest schooling fish you can get.

Thanks for all the responses. I have been feeding more frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and it seems to have helped the situation. I think that my angels were craving more protein. I haven't lost any more raspboras since.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom