Scissortail rasboras + Rummy nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
They seem so similar! I was wondering if they would school together or not? My dad loves the rasboras and I'm dead set on having the rummy nose. Just wondering if they'd get along or not or if anyone has any experience with keeping both. Thanks ^^

They will get along, but they are not too likely at actually school together. Rummies are rather picky about they company. I have had them ignore the attempts of multiple other species who tried to join their school. That said, my vote would be to get a little school of each. They will certainly be fine together and mingle.

Well, at least they wont pick on each other. Knowing that, I can't wait to have both. I'd like to add the rummys after the tank matures a bit because I've read they're a little sensitive. In the opposite regards I've read the rasboras are pretty hearty and adaptable. We're slowly going to add two or three schools of fish before adding the angelfish and gbr's we hope to get. How many schools can I have in a 55 gal knowing we will eventually have 2 angelfish, and 2 rams? How many of each fish?

I would do 7 of each, maybe more Rasbora as they can be a lot smaller depending on which type you get. Rasbora will not school with the Rummynose. If you added another type of Tetra they might, my Rummynose stay in a tight group with my Lemon Tetra. I have 7 blue axelrod Rasbora in one of my tanks and found they form a very loose school, nowhere near as tight as the Tetra.

Last edited:
I have 4 rummy nose and 3 scissor tails in my tank and they love to swim back and forth all day as one school
here's the best pic I could get of them, they're too quick

Attachments

• image-809139046.jpg
    image-809139046.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 136
So rasboras don't school as close together as other fish like tetra? That's good to know! Also, I read the Scissortail rasboras are upper/mid swimmers. Are their any schoolers who prefer the middle/bottom so it's evened out visually?

Kitekat87 said:
I have 4 rummy nose and 3 scissor tails in my tank and they love to swim back and forth all day as one school
here's the best pic I could get of them, they're too quick

I love the splash of color the rummys give and the scissortails are so bold colored on their tail fin. They look great together. I won't get my hopes up though and expect them to school together like yours :( maybe if I'm lucky lol

In a 55g with angels and rams, I would start with like 7 of each. If you think there is still room once you see them all swimming, feel free to add a few more.

I have 21 rummy's and they school tight but sometimes a female threadfin will join them and they don't even seem to take notice. I have Diamond tetras and they never school with the rummies. Oh, but you should see when one of the yo-yo loaches tries to school with them... talk about rummy's not wanting to school with someone!

Forgot to add, a small school of both would work fine, but maybe consider a small school of cory's for bottom movement.

Back
Top Bottom