SCORE! Very Unique Driftwood. What now?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinKY

Aquarium Advice Regular
Took the kids to the lake for their spring break. We rented a boat and cruised around on the water. While out my son spotted what looked to be a cool piece so we scooped it up. Sure enough, this thing is loaded with character and I hope to treat it and put it in when I rescape next time! :D

The problem is, I am finding all sorts of conflicting information on treating driftwood for aquarium use and would like to know...

How would you prepare this for your tank?

Attachments

• DSCF9407.jpg
    DSCF9407.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF9408.jpg
    DSCF9408.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF9409.jpg
    DSCF9409.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 89
Soaking for 2-3 weeks also works apparently. Boiling is suppose to speed up the process. Nice piece of wood. From what I've read just recently and watched on YouTube, these processes are to remove the nasties and the brown water that driftwood has. For mine I have hosed it with hot water and rubbed it down. I was in too much of a hurry to fish less cycle my tank due to a friend wanting to place our fish order so I've just put it in. My water is nice and clean at the moment and everything is going good, active carbon in the filter helps with driftwood set ups. Photo of clean water. Thinking I should have boiled it now, I will have to see what happens.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396712457.155054.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396712457.155054.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 86
First of all that was a score. Nice bit of wood to base a scape around. I usually try to boil wood for 3 x 3-4 hour sessions, then i leave in a tub of fresh water without chlorination treatment for a further week or two. Boil again once more to remove nasties then i'll tank it. I had sap start to seep from a bit i prepared after about 9 days of the 2 week soak so it got an extra day of boiling and then 2 more weeks soaking and was fine.

Excellent information my fish friends. Thanks for taking the time to help out. I look forward to my days off so I can prepare it.

I don't have anything large enough to set it in to boil it. Do you guys think I could use a large Rubbermaid tote and just keep filling it with boiling water? It might fit in an an old turkey pan. Maybe I could add water and bake in the oven?

Weeza, that's a wicked piece you have there in your tank!

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks KevinKY! Pouring boiling water over it and letting it soak while turning it every now and then should work just fine! Looking forward to seeing it in your tank!!

I've also heard you can put it in the dishwasher with no soap at the highest temp setting a few times.

Back
Top Bottom