Scott's 4 gallon pico reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which one of these guys is the bigger waste producer?
Green clown goby or purple firefish?

I vote for the firefish as a bigger waste producer. They are more active and therefore need to eat more. More eating means more pooping. That's my theory anyway.

Which one of these guys is the bigger waste producer?
Green clown goby or purple firefish?

Fire fish. Your tank would probably be fine if you just had the clown goby in it. I would get rid of the fire fish for sure and the goby. Remember that 4g is really like 2.7g

Well I've had the purple firefish since 10/04 and green clown goby since 10/08 (i think). So in 5 days it'll be a month. Probably give it a week or two past that until I transfer to the 55.

They've been in a small tank, high nitrates, and probably pretty stressed. There's no spots, they're active, eating well, not breathing fast, and not flashing. I'd say they're in pretty good health.

These nitrates are driving me nuts though and the algae is ridiculous. I've been doing a gallon water change every two days.

It's a fine line between keeping them in quarantine long enough to be safe and resisting the urge to get them out of the small tank lol.

scottayy said:
Well I've had the purple firefish since 10/04 and green clown goby since 10/08 (i think). So in 5 days it'll be a month. Probably give it a week or two past that until I transfer to the 55.

They've been in a small tank, high nitrates, and probably pretty stressed. There's no spots, they're active, eating well, not breathing fast, and not flashing. I'd say they're in pretty good health.

These nitrates are driving me nuts though and the algae is ridiculous. I've been doing a gallon water change every two days.

It's a fine line between keeping them in quarantine long enough to be safe and resisting the urge to get them out of the small tank lol.

I can imagine its driving you nuts doing all the pwcs! So maybe 1 more week?

It's more annoying than anything lol. Especially when I still get algae. Just too many nutrients in the tank. Gonna do at least two more Weeks.

I'm curious.. Does a coral only tank with clean up crew stay cycled?

scottayy said:
It's more annoying than anything lol. Especially when I still get algae. Just too many nutrients in the tank. Gonna do at least two more Weeks.

I'm curious.. Does a coral only tank with clean up crew stay cycled?

I've heard it does.

They are still in the 4 gallon. Going to move them really soon. They are really active now! Well, not the clown goby, but he sits out in the open lol. The firefish isn't shy anymore. Shame really, I like them on my desk. But My hair algae and bubble algae getting out of control even with a pwc ever other day.

All signs of health and nothing I would worry about! I guess I just essentially quarantined them for 6 weeks in a 4 gallon, lol.

scottayy said:
They are still in the 4 gallon. Going to move them really soon. They are really active now! Well, not the clown goby, but he sits out in the open lol. The firefish isn't shy anymore. Shame really, I like them on my desk. But My hair algae and bubble algae getting out of control even with a pwc ever other day.

All signs of health and nothing I would worry about! I guess I just essentially quarantined them for 6 weeks in a 4 gallon, lol.

Once you get the algea under control you can get some coral and sexy shrimp! :). I'm glad to hear the fish are doing so well!

Moved the fish over to the 55. I'm sure they'll hide for a while. I have 6 corals currently :p Neon green candy cane, zoas, coco worm, and 2 mushrooms. All are doing well. Candy cane has three new heads, mushrooms are spread wide open, coco worm is out. The zoa's grew 1 new polyp in 6-7 weeks =/ That kind of concerns me.. I think they're supposed to grow faster than that. Not really sure.

Another interesting note is when I was at the pet store there was a tiny half dead looking single strand of anthelias on the bottom of the sand bed in one of their coral tanks. It made it's way in the bag when she was dipping out water and she told me just to throw it out (aka she wouldn't charge me for it). So I put it in my tank and just forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago I noticed it attached near the front and is growing two new stalks. So that's pretty cool! I know it grows fast, but I watch over my tanks like crazy, so I'm good with the growth.

I'm going lidless now!

scottayy said:
Moved the fish over to the 55. I'm sure they'll hide for a while. I have 6 corals currently :p Neon green candy cane, zoas, coco worm, and 2 mushrooms. All are doing well. Candy cane has three new heads, mushrooms are spread wide open, coco worm is out. The zoa's grew 1 new polyp in 6-7 weeks =/ That kind of concerns me.. I think they're supposed to grow faster than that. Not really sure.

Another interesting note is when I was at the pet store there was a tiny half dead looking single strand of anthelias on the bottom of the sand bed in one of their coral tanks. It made it's way in the bag when she was dipping out water and she told me just to throw it out (aka she wouldn't charge me for it). So I put it in my tank and just forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago I noticed it attached near the front and is growing two new stalks. So that's pretty cool! I know it grows fast, but I watch over my tanks like crazy, so I'm good with the growth.

I'm going lidless now!

You'll be happy to not have to do so many pwcs on the pico! I would think the zoas would grow a little more quickly. Maybe with the better water and less hair algae they will start to grow faster. I hope the fish come out of hiding soon. The fire-fish will probably be happy with all the swimming room! :)

Everything goes good! Ran out of salt so haven't done any water changes in a while. I need to order some.

Wow, I gotta hand it to Aqueon customer service!! They sent me out a free light that i inquired about buying (before I knew the specs) because of the troubles I had with the tank. I declined the light, but they shipped it before I even could decline it! I'm sure I'll find some use for it!!

Amazing service. Definitely not used to that level of costumer satisfaction. They may have just kept me as a customer in the future.

I know this post is old, but I too have had great costumer service with Aqueon! I bought a heater for my shrimp tank, and after a few days it died. I called tech support. A nice lady walked me through some things I could do to fix it, and after nothing worked, she sent me a new one. I am definitely buying their products.

This is now being turned into a glofish tank. Got uninterested with saltwater in the Pico.

2wrjh1t.jpg

The par 38 bulb on blues only being dimmable works GREAT for this purpose.

This is now being turned into a glofish tank. Got uninterested with saltwater in the Pico.

The par 38 bulb on blues only being dimmable works GREAT for this purpose.

It's awesome! I love that you used black sand. It really makes all the colors pop. I was wondering how you'd like the small pico reef. After I upgraded to a 10 gal there is no way I'd want to go back to a 5gal. You have such a great 55 gal reef. The glofish will be fun!

Black back wall, black stand, black sand, set on the lowest blue light setting possible. All of the plants are glowing plants. Of course my phone camera won't correctly show it how it is in real life. It looks really awesome though and it's right beside my bed. With the glowing fish it is going to be really cool. Every kids dream :p

Back
Top Bottom