SCWD wave maker, How do they work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Mt question is how does the SCWD work, and does it work good?
I am thinking about getting one or maybe two for my 125gal and setting up a closed loop.
Does anyone use this item on their tanks?

Attachments

• fish_jan_06_060re.jpg
    fish_jan_06_060re.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 240
ive been looking at the oceanmotions diverters as well... gotta convince myself to pony up the $$$ for the diverter and the pump to go with it.

as for the SCWD, i believe is is a mechanical diverter in the body that switches the flow between the two outlets. since it relies on the water flow to move the diverter mechanism, you will lose flow energy, and ultimately reduce your flowrate through the device.

~mike

Mike, Does the ocean motion work the same way as a mechanical divert. I read the overview in my DR. F&S catalog. Maybe if you had a strong enough pump to run it, it would work good?

The ocean motion has its own separately powered mechanism to control the different flows. The one you are talking about will work just be aware they will not handle much flow and will create a lot of back pressure on your pump.

Hey I just look at the ocean motion that's kinda cool. I bet they had big pump on that. The tsunami vid did That was 1/12 PVC with a big ol pump under the tank. 8)
That would be the one to get. 0X

I'm not sure exactly how a SCWD works, but I can say it does what it claims to. I've been using one for a few weeks now and love it. It does restrict flow some, but a proper pump will fix that and you can keep all that extra "crap" out of the tank. You can't beat a SCWD $ for $ IMO. There is a video of one in action on this site if your interested- http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

Back
Top Bottom