Sea horses R.I.P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
well my sea horses died. i returned them to the LFS due to a problem with the filter of the tank. They didnt make all the transfers to much stress i guess. Well this tank has been empty for 2 weeks now. Purchased a Mandarin Goby and a Target goby for it. So they eat copepods and anthropods but where can i purchase some to feed them. Let me get some critisicm back on what to do.

try ebay. go to petsupplies, and search for copepods, i recomend reef science plankton by greg caudill. good stuff and good price

lol.. i put my money on those fish dying as well. Not to be mean or anything.. but you went from hard(the seahorses) to even harder( the mandarins).

Also, did you buy those fish without having the food for them ready? What do you plan on feeding them in the meantime..? And yeah.. i agree with dropin.. try ebay, or your LFS. I tell you though.. if your LFS doesn't sell them and you can't find them around locally... these internet retailers are going to be making a killing off of you. Especially since mandarins will pick a 20g clean of copepods within a week. You'll be paying mad money for the pods + shipping.

Good luck to ya.

seahorses are supposed to be in temperatures of 74 and below. mandarins are in warmer waters. this is the first bit of information i think you need.
the second is that mandarins will eat a bottle of copepods a day. this is why they say 1 mandarin to 100 pounds of live rock. while i don't totally agree with that, i would say that you need a well established tank for them or they will starve to death slowly.
kevn mentioned a 20 gallon- is this what size tank you are keeping them in? if so i would return them as soon as you can. the mandarin won't survive.
i would research the creature you are interested in before purchasing it.

yea lol just my luck... i put 1 in my main tank, and picked up about 15-20 lbs more live rock to this tank. its completely loaded with caves. I picked up a copepod meal today for them. Not sure i go from one stupid mistake to another haha but this time im not down about it like i usally am, i got them for free to make up for the horses, and the live rock. Added more live rock too my main tank also. I know its deff not enough but w/e here we go. Im done being amazed at the fish store, now i see something mind blowing and go "nope to much for my tank!"

Not sure i go from one stupid mistake another haha.

That happens. Just remember in the future to research before you buy. I've come close to buying fish before, i mean really close. Come home, start researching, then find out it was a very good thing i did not get them. Just learn from your mistakes ;)

well i put the trigger fish in my main, am i might be able to keep him alive for a while until i upgrade in about 2-3 weeks to this 55g i picked up for $90 2 days about. but i still need sump,lights,refuge (for situations like this), skimmer...just every thing, maybe then he'll make it. i plan on ordering 95lbs of live rock for the 55g. Do you think 1 150w MH with 4 Acintic blues will enough for the 55g? i figure the mandarin is screwed...sorry little guy ill do my best

yea lol just my luck... i put 1 in my main tank, and picked up about 15-20 lbs more live rock to this tank. its completely loaded with caves. I picked up a copepod meal today for them. Not sure i go from one stupid mistake to another haha but this time im not down about it like i usally am, i got them for free to make up for the horses, and the live rock. Added more live rock too my main tank also. I know its deff not enough but w/e here we go. Im done being amazed at the fish store, now i see something mind blowing and go "nope to much for my tank!"
as i said, just research them. you can keep amazing things, but you should know as much about them as possible before you try. just try it here. "hey..i have a 20 gallon tank and i saw a cool mandarin at the LFS..can i keep it?"
the rock you picked up...are you sure it's cured? have you tested your water to make sure?
it might not be starvation that kills the mandarin after all...but W/E...here we go.:rolleyes:

Well, the metal halide bulbs, if i remember correctly, cover something like a 2ftx2ft radius.. and a 55G is like 4ft long right? So i'm not sure how that metal halide combo will work for your tank.

Can you give us a little more details? Is the light a fixture, pendant, retrofit..? Are the actinics T5 lights or Compact Fluorescents..? Like how is the whole things setup? Are the MH's and the Actinics all connected to one fixture? I'm just throwing out some ideas here.. but it's up to you to let us know exactly what it is.

yea the live rock is fiji select from the LFS and they wont sell it until its cured, ive actually gotten in pretty good with them and know them quite well when they get a shipment in they put it in the back under MH's for 3 weeks before moving it our front, and this LR i picked up today was some of the last so its been in there over a month, had a few nice peices left. No set up yet zero, im trying to get the best bang for my money. I wont be deciding on exaclty how it goes down until i get to north carolina.

Back
Top Bottom