Seachem equilibrium raising nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonjinn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all.
I recently restarted my tank from scratch.
I used ADA powersand and tropica soil as substrate and 100% ro water.
I’m using seachem equilibrium and alkaline buffer to adjust gh/kh and co2 to balance ph.
Issue is, my tank finished cycling and my nitrates are around 80ppm.
Out of curiosity i checked my ro water change reservoir, which i also correct with the seachem products and found nitrates at 20ppm! Aren’t these products not meant to affect nitrates? If this is what’s happening, i’m not quite sure how i’m going to lower nitrates and remineralise my ro water at the same time....
Thanks for the attention ?

Hello all.
I recently restarted my tank from scratch.
I used ADA powersand and tropica soil as substrate and 100% ro water.
I’m using seachem equilibrium and alkaline buffer to adjust gh/kh and co2 to balance ph.
Issue is, my tank finished cycling and my nitrates are around 80ppm.
Out of curiosity i checked my ro water change reservoir, which i also correct with the seachem products and found nitrates at 20ppm! Aren’t these products not meant to affect nitrates? If this is what’s happening, i’m not quite sure how i’m going to lower nitrates and remineralise my ro water at the same time....
Thanks for the attention ?

Don't kH boost if using aquasoil. The soil will be your buffer, you'll be causing big pH swings trying to boost kH.

Equilibrium will not cause any NO3 increase.

Thanks for your reply.
I’m not using aquasoil but power sand.
I thought the principle would be the same and gave a huge spike in ammonia all the same but my ph was extremely low, about 5.5. Had to buffer kh to bring it at around 7.1 so the co2 would kick in during the day and bring it down to my target 6.8.
Will probably reduce dosage in water changes to try and keep it in the 6.9/7 zone but nevertheless, i’m not witnessing huge swings at the moment. Will see how it goes once i introduce the fish.

Thanks ?

aquasoil / tropica soil = buffering substrate

This will drop your pH down (it is supposed to) so by adding kH booster, you are fighting your substrates buffering ability.

Why are you targeting a 6.8 pH from CO2? Are you only running the CO2 during the photo period? How is your lighting intensity?

Yes, co2 running during the day only.
6.8 target merely because commonly considered the most suitable to most fish.
Light maximum intensity is between 37 and 42 watts per liter depending on the height of the ground. Bottom end of high intensity.

Yes, co2 running during the day only.
6.8 target merely because commonly considered the most suitable to most fish.
Light maximum intensity is between 37 and 42 watts per liter depending on the height of the ground. Bottom end of high intensity.

pH drop from CO2 under higher lighting needs to be a full 1.0 drop from degassed tank water, if not more.

Do not alter pH via inconstant sources such as CO2 to suit a fish's need. Most if not all fish will adapt to various pH levels. Over time this will not work out well.

No need to kH boost if using aqua soil / tropica soil etc. gH boost as needed for plants / snails / fish / shrimp.

Watts / gallon or liter is not a good way to measure light. What is your exact light and tank size?

Back
Top Bottom