Searching for Excellent Community Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I find the Neon Tetra to be a wonderful community fish:
1. They look great in a community tank
2. They are peaceful tank mates
3. They eat up the crumbs left by the bigger sloppy fish
4. They like to school
5. They are easy to keep healthy
6. They aren't jumpers
7. They consistently occupy a stratum and could be compatible with fish that occupy other strata without competing.

Any suggestions for other community fish this good?

Do Harlequin Rasboras do a good job of cleaning up floating crumbs left by other fish at feeding time?

Floating crumbs, yes. That is one of my favorite things about them, the way they feed. They dart to the surface and dart back down. It's great when you watch a dozen of them do this. They do a decent job in the center, picking up things floating downward. I haven't seen mine pick at the bottom though as they are mid dwellers.

I actually took some video recently. I haven't checked it yet, but if it comes out, I'll post it in the photo section.

Most fish will adapt to whatever ph the water is as long as it stays consistent. Don't miss out on a good little fish because of it.

I have one, I know I feel bad for it, in my tank at 7.5 seems fine and its been in the tank for over a year. And its not lonely cause I have a male x-ray tetra that keeps trying to put the moves on it.

The pH is something that doesn't have to be precisely ideal as long as it isn't to one extreme and stable.

I love molly's. they actually pay attention to me, as opposed to the clown loaches or platys which pay no mind. Also my hatchet fish tend to school the best. they're pretty entertaining. the ph problem is mine as well, and I just put the fish in a bowl next to the tank when I first nring them home..and slowly add water over a period of time from my tank to acclimate them to the new ph.

I really like hatchets too. The only problem is they are such jumpers. They seem to be able to find the smallest hole to jump through to their deaths. On mollies, they seem so nonhydrodynamic, I've avoided them to now, but I could be convinced. They seem like the bumblebees of tropical fish. Like how could bumblebees possibly fly, I wonder how mollies could make it in the aquatic world. Do you know whether mollies can stand full strength SW like in a reef tank or not?

I've heard that Mollies have been acclimated to saltwater, but I wouldn't even venture an attempt at it. They're brackish water fish naturally, but most stores have them acclimated to freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom